A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

My first ding :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first ding :(

My husband and I were out Christmas shopping. I noticed the ding when I was guarding the door when my husband was getting out near a light post base where the door was too close for my comfort.

The ding was light colored and my neighbor has a silver BMW...Hmmmm

Can dings be removed without body work? Can they be removed from the inside of the door panel and pushed out?

I'll probably take it to a friend who owns a body shop and see what he says. Is this sort of thing covered by insurance? It's a small ding right below the door line where it goes in a little about 5 inches below the bottom of the window.

*sigh*
Old 12-13-2008, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Most dings can be removed, paintless and inexpensive.

I just paid $120 at the dealer to remove two dings. I can't even tell where they were, both were removed from inside the door. I know a few indendant Audi shop owners and they say it usually costs about 70 per panel. If its on the doors, there should be no issues removing it. Perhaps a bit more involved on the rear quarter panels.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's good to hear

I was hoping it wasn't a big deal, but I never dealt with anything like this.

My '99 Passat which I bought used in 2002 had a few dings when I bought it, but in the 6 years I had it, I never had any additional body damage. I have my Brand new Audi for 5 months and this happens. UGH

Thanks for the info. I feel a little better
Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Easy fix: 1st a ding is the metal of your car getting stretched. You need to shrink it back into

place and here is one way to accomplish it.

take a heat gun and heat the area that has the ding. Get it as hot as possible without damaging the paint. It's pretty much got to be too hot to touch. While the metal is still very hot, take a can of compressed air, turn it upsde down and spray the ding with it. The cold liquid that comes out of the can will cause the metal to shrink back it it's original shape and your ding will disappear. You can also use a chunk of dry ice instead of the can of compressed air.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'll leave it to the experts

Something like a ding is not something I would mess with trying to repair. It seems as though it won't cost that much and I know someone I trust to fix it for me.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i saw a video of someone doing that and,

have one of those small dings that really pisses me off but have been hesitate to try that, do you have experience actually doing this?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:45 AM

Default My wife's A4 s-line was ours for two weeks before she brought it

home with a huge driver's side ding. This ding actually looks as if it has a slight crease and is about an inch + long. I bit my tongue, but my boy did some friendly razzing. I have often wondered whether it could be paintlessly removed.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Best way to find out is to

take it to a body shop or the dealer for and estimate. I won't be able to look at the spot every day and not do something about it. It makes me cringe. I'll post after I call the dealer and my friend for an approximate amount.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Paintless dent removal can fix most of these...

had Sal from DentExpert work on my wife's TT in areas that some paintless dent removals guys could not touch - along the car's upper line which runs across where the door handle is. After many months of having this fixed, I cannot seem to locate where the dent was (which is very good). The dent repair cost me $125 which actually included repair for an additional one I had not noticed. I'm sure it will be fine. Take a look at some of the pics of repair jobs he has done, many exotics. Good luck.<ul><li><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/dentexpert/PhotoAlbum29.html">DentExpert - San Mateo (NorCal)</a></li></ul>
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bookmarked...

Looks like remarkable work, nice...

Quick Reply: My first ding :(