A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

new owner, headliner rear corners water stains???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new owner, headliner rear corners water stains???

(cross-post with S4 forum)
Just picked up a used B7 S4. Noticed what was i thought dirt in corner of rear headliner area prior to purchase, but upon closer inspection there appear to be small areas of water staining in each of the rear corners of the headliner. The stains are just on the headliner... nothing on the trim around the windows or on the c-pillars.

I'm aware of the class-action law suit for sunroof drains (have a B5), but technically that does not cover this car's VIN.

Anyone else experience this and have a clear cause/soln?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same here

Originally Posted by audi49t
(cross-post with S4 forum)
Just picked up a used B7 S4. Noticed what was i thought dirt in corner of rear headliner area prior to purchase, but upon closer inspection there appear to be small areas of water staining in each of the rear corners of the headliner. The stains are just on the headliner... nothing on the trim around the windows or on the c-pillars.

I'm aware of the class-action law suit for sunroof drains (have a B5), but technically that does not cover this car's VIN.

Anyone else experience this and have a clear cause/soln?

Thanks!
Hey, I have the same problem on my 06 b7 and as far as I know the class action covers all b7s. However, right now I believe the only result is adding cleaning the sunroof drains to the service. Conveniently enough, when I brought mine in for service last week I mentioned a rattle in the headliner and the water stains and they found that the sunroof frame is broken and will replace it under warranty and at the same time they are going to look at and address the water stains (which they do have a hunch are the sunroof drains). Just bring it in to a dealer and pick their brains to see if they will check it out or repair it for the deductible. Also, if you do a search someone else had the same problem and was able to use Resolve on the stains and drop the headliner a little bit to repair the cracked hoses. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default same here (update)

So, the dealer called and said they found that the sunroof drain hoses had come off on both sides and as result lead to water stains on my headliner. Thankfully, I have an extended warranty and fixing the hoses is covered. Also, they are replacing the head liner which will be covered as consequential damage. So, if you have a warranty, you should be good and clear, else take it back to the dealer and get some money for fixing it.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default that is great news... some follow-up quesitons

In your case, did you have the water stains (only) in the rear corners of the headliner?
Do you know how they fixed it?
Did they just put the hoses back on, or did they do something better to make sure it won't happen?
Thanks! I hope mine is that straight forward.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi49t
In your case, did you have the water stains (only) in the rear corners of the headliner?
Do you know how they fixed it?
Did they just put the hoses back on, or did they do something better to make sure it won't happen?
Thanks! I hope mine is that straight forward.
Hey, yeah it was only in the corners. They put the hose back on and I had a chance to look at it before the headliner install and it looked like there was a white coupler between the hose and the frame and some type of white sealant on both sides. It looked pretty secure, and was surprised there wasn't a hose clamp like i've seen on other cars. If yours didn't fit on snugly you might have the same problem again. I'd reccomend talking to the dealer, this seems like a problem they're aware of and could tell you the reccomended repair. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default not good news for me...

Had my car at the dealer yesterday/today regarding this problem. Technician said that the transition from the sunroof frame to the rear train tubes has failed, and that's why i'm getting the leak. I asked him if that can be fixed, and he said that that has not been an effective fix so they need to order a whole new sunroof frame. So parts+laber = $1700 for this fix. Not the way i wanted to start my S4 experience. Car is 5 months out of warranty... i'm going to try to get Audi to help.