A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

No accessory position on ignition switch??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No accessory position on ignition switch??

I've been wondering this since the day i bought my car but keep forgetting to ask around.

When i put my key in ignition, the key has to rotate about 90deg to start the engine without accessory position in between. Is this normal without acc position? It seems odd to keep engine running just listen to radio.

BTW, I found out it in hard way that you can't 'Slim-jim' the B7 A4. The other day, I left my keys at the office (what a coincedence that all the rest of keys are still in the glove box where dealership put them the day before telling me to come back with all those keys when new set of keys arrive)and took bus to park and ride garage. The mobile service guy sent by Audi roadside assistance brought out small air bag to pry door open and a long rod with rubber covered tip to press unlock button. He tried several times on both driver's and passengers side but there isn't even a clicking noise. He gave it up telling me that it's the first car he couldn't open with his devices....
There must be an anti-theft feature so once the car is armed then even clicking the unlock button won't work.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Yes, and no

Yes, there's no Acc position - on any German (or other European AFAIK) car that I know of. However, you still can listen to the radio w/o ignition: just turn it on =) It will turn off after an hour, as described in the manual.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ^^^^ correct.....

i did freak out when it turned off on me..thought something shorted out....untill I read the manual...
Old 09-14-2005, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Yes, and no

Don't know what German cars you know of Stan, but all those I've seen have Acc position. Is it different for US and Europe?

T.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi, VW, Opel, Skoda, Seat to name a few

Owned / driven all of them extensively; no Acc setting.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default So if Audi roadside service cannot unlock your car, how did you get in?

Did they have to send a special locksmith? Did they have to send another key from Germany? Is your car still sitting at the Park and Ride?

Or did you just have to go back to the office to get the key you left there?

sounds like a good motive for keeping the plastic spare key in my wallet.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: So if Audi roadside service cannot unlock your car, how did you get in?

Nope, the lady at Audi rodaside assisatance didn't have a clue. I ended up calling my friend for a ride back to my office and retreived the key. I think it would be a great idea to keep the plastic spare key somewhere handy to save your frustrations and witneesing of how much your car door can deflect by the shear force of air pressure...
Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Audi, VW, Opel, Skoda, Seat to name a few

If by acc position you mean the intermediate position, between everything off and everything on, then all those I've seen/driven have acc position. Maybe they figured you wouldn't need it for the US

T.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, all these cars are in Europe

Owned three Audis, one Opel, three VW, one Skoda, and none of them had an Acc position. These were Swiss models, but given the sheer size of that market I really doubt that they'd make special ignition switches for us.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Well, all these cars are in Europe

What you say is very weird. Not doubting it is true, just saying it's completely odd. I can't think of any reason or explanation for it. I think I'll ask my dealer. Do you think there is any chance we're not talking about the same thing?

T.

Quick Reply: No accessory position on ignition switch??