A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Noob Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Tire Questions

Just bought a 2006 a4 cab FWD in the Wash DC area. The car has new Nexen N3000 235/45ZR17 94W tires. I did not realize that these were "summer" tires. While I do have a p/u for bad snow, I will be driving in snow and ice conditions. I do not drive particulary agressively. Question:

1. I assume that these "summer" tires are not going to do well in the snow?

2. Should I get "snow" tires or "all season" tires?

3. If I get "snow" tires, do you guys get a separate set of rims or have the tires changed on the existing rims seasonally?

4. What tires should I get? I believe in good tires (bad tires are a bad way to die)but looking for an economical alternative, particularly considering my driving style.

5. Wheres the best place to get them?

Great forum - already changed the oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter with your help. Love this place.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

https://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/
Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IMHO

1 - summer tires are crap in snow and in low temperatures

2 - you should definitely get snow tires:

$: initial investment is higher, but since you use each set ~1/2 as much, costs even out in the end

safety: no price on safety - no question that the worst winter tires should fare better than the best all-season tires

performance: all-season tires suck year-round. they stink in the summer, and they're crap in the winter. they're not particularly good in the rain. a good summer tire will take care of all your summer needs, and then some, and a good winter tire will give you peace of mind and traction in the winter. aside from minor cost issues i see absolutely no reason to go all-season, unless you want cheap tires to destroy on a track (which is what i've done with mine).

3 - recommend you get a separate set of rims

4 - smaller diameter winter tires are cheaper - get 17" rims (or 16" if you can get them to clear your brakes) - i've been using michelin alpins and they've been fairly good and cheap

5 - can't answer, i'm in a different country

just a few of my opinions...

good luck !
Old 10-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Noob Tire Questions

Summer tires are not going to do well in the snow.

Get snow tires for snow, and summer tires for summer. If you get all seasons, you're only running half-good tires all year round.

Get a stock set of wheels and run the snow tires on those. That way the snow/salt/etc won't destory your nice wheels.

Get your tires from tirerack or a local tire distributor, whoever is cheapest.

Don@VelocityMotoring.com
Old 10-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Depends on your driving conditions...

and how much you push your car... I too live in the DC Metro area, but dont see the need for snow tires.

Weather....
Do you plan on driving in the snow a bunch? Commuting from Leesburg/Northern MD or farther you might want to think about it, due to weather/road conditions futher out. How much snow do you normally encounter in your area? In the Metro area, you probably won't be able to really use them in the snow. You've seen the traffic when it snows, <5mph, and that's even before the snow hits the ground.

Driver usage:
I dont push my car much, just dont have the space in Metro/Beltway traffic, nor the desire truthfully. I dont have the space or $$$ for a spare set of wheels and performance tires. But if you push the limits of the car on a more routine basis, a second set might be a decent idea.

I'll probably be crucified for saying this, but just look for a good quality all season tire. Tirerack.com has reviews and user opinions that can help you choose what would be the best for the car.

just my 2 cents,