A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Question about turbo lag on A4 2.0T 2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not funny, I have Temporal Arteritis...

j/k

I guess I just haven't paid near enough attention.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

roflmao
Old 10-18-2006, 02:14 AM

Yep -- when turning sharply I think the ECU holds back on boost to maintain max grip in the turn.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:23 AM

Default You are half right . . .

You wrote:-
>> Obviously you're not going to get those higher boost levels without spooling the turbo up higher -- and that takes more time. It's not rocket science. <<

Whilst it may take longer to get to the higher boost levels, there is NO WAY that you are getting more lag than before. It's just that once chipped, you are used to getting the "kick" which an unchipped car doesn't give you.
But of course, you don't get that kick till around 2,000rpm+. Anything below that is what you think is "lag". But it's not. I've seen `before' & `after' torque plots, and in ALL cases, the torque response relative to RPM is clearly higher ALL THE WAY along the curve (from zero RPM all the way out to redline) -- so you actually get LESS lag with a chipped car, and MORE torque all along the curve (and a LOT more from 2,000-4,000rpm) compared to what you had before! :-)

Tip: Before releasing the clutch from a standing start, spool-up to 2,200rpm to get the turbo really spinning. Then release . . .

Then after you get moving, put your foot down even more as you pull away, to stop the RPMs dipping.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're confused. You can't see lag on a dyno...

because it's not a measurement of power output; it's a measurement of <i>throttle response</i>.

Lag is what distinguishes linear, immediate power response from the "kick" that you describe. We feel that kick because power output "lags" behind throttle application.

The stock 2.0T program does not have this kick, and that is why the engine is often described as having no lag.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Manual or automatic?

Thanks Mike, and all, for replies.
To answer your questions: I have automatic, Tiptronic. I don't step hard on gas, always trying to make a turn as evenly as possible. Now I leave a little room before the turn, so when I start moving the car goes straight first for a meter or two and then I make turn and there's no lag.
Thanks again,
AK
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 AM

Default I'm not confused . . .

In fact, the throttle response is no worse than before, maybe it's just that there is so much more power after you pass 2,220rpm that it fools the brain into thinking that the sub-2,000rpm throttle response is worse than before the remap. Either that, or you have a bad remap! :-)

I certainly don't experience any added lag whatsoever with my MTM remap.

Now, if you put in a bigger turbo (e.g. a K04 instead of stock K03), you WOULD get more lag, as they do take longer to spool up, as there is more rotating mass. Bigger intercoolers also produce more lag, as there is more volume to pressurize.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I really think it is just the Tip transmission...

I've driven three 07 Tiptronics (one 3.2 and 2 2.0's) and have noticed the same behavior on all three. I've not noticed this on my '02 1.8T (Tip) or on my 05.5 2.0T (Manual).

However, it is less notiable driving in Sport mode.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes you are. You have no idea what lag is.

Lag is the delay between the time you request a power level and the time the engine actually reaches that power level.

You seem to think that lag only pertains to the engine's ability to create unchipped power levels. Though chipping does not add any lag to operations within the engine's stock capability, higher power output comes with increasing delays -- even with the smaller turbo.

Consider the 1.8T: stock, the engine had a little kick; chipped, it had a bigger kick. That's lag and more lag, respectively.

The 2.0T has nearly-smooth power delivery stock, and a kick when chipped. That's nil lag and more lag, respectively.

The car does not have to get or seem "worse" or "slower" to be experiencing more lag. All that has to change is the time between throttle requests and power delivery. If you push your foot down and ask for 300lb-ft, it takes a bit longer than asking for 200. Longer delay = more lag. Not necessarily "bad," "worse than stock," or "unsatisfactory," but definitely more lag.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:41 AM

Default Well, that's your definition. But nobody else's . . .

You wrote:-

1. &gt;&gt; Consider the 1.8T: stock, the engine had a little kick; chipped, it had a bigger kick. &lt;&lt;

I do agree with this part.

2. &gt;&gt; That's lag and more lag, respectively &lt;&lt;

You are the only person who seems to think this.

Anyway, MY car now gives me the power I demand with the throttle quicker than it ever did before. i.e. from first pressing the accelerator pedal the power comes quicker and stonger than it did before the remap. I don't call that "more lag".

Quick Reply: Question about turbo lag on A4 2.0T 2006