A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

RNS-E Nav commands

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RNS-E Nav commands

Hi all,

Is it me or the hype with the RNS-E is just that, hype. It's a simple NAV that gets cluttered with data when you are using it for directions. There is no real 3d or birds eye view. Not to intuitive, voice commands that is, I mean what voice commands? The only voice commands are for the built in phone package. It can't control any radio or AC features or anything else.

MMI, what's the deal with this? SD Slots are cool but what else. You can't even play a movie while the vehicle is stopped, and unlike the Audi predecessors, the "BOSE" doesn't even have a mid range speaker adjustment anymore which makes the sound distorted at louder volumes. There really isn't much "Multi Media" in this interface. Satellite, CD Changer and regular radio which is almost standard on all vehicles now. It doesn't even have an AUX input for an Ipod.

I'm sorry Audi, but Multi Media means more to me that Radio and Satellite. I have test driven cheaper cars with NAV that are more advanced (by far) that what is in our Audi's.

Is it me or does anyone else feel this way and feel like you paid too much for something that gives directions when you could easily go on the web and get them. I just leased this thing about 2 weeks ago and now I really which I would have leased the Lexus IS250, there you can talk about technology. So it's made in Japan, but who cares, it's nice, has much more technically advance features and heck, it's cheaper. Oh well.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: RNS-E Nav commands

I rather not be talking to my car to change the radio and AC, I prefer the traditional sense of controlling this stuff using buttons and ***** personally.

I never got the NAV as I have no need for NAV. iPod hookup? Just get the Audi OEM or the Dension. This doesn't bother me at all that no "factory" setup is available. YOu could argue it the other way, why isn't there a hookup for Creative players, etc.

Cheaper cars having an aux or a "iPod hookup" which is realy an auxiliary input doesn't bother me. GM cars for example has always had an aux input in most of their Delco headunits from what I remember. BMWs and Mercedes has an iPod hookup but I believe it's also provided by a third-party manufacturer like Dension.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:38 AM

Default It's just you, and maybe a few others. The RNS-E has won numerous awards...

for it's design and functionality. It's res and phonems are some of the best in the industry. I'm not saying it's the number one unit out there but it is a strong contender nonetheless. Also, if you are hating on an audi because of its Nav+ system and fact you are too lazy to extend your arm to adjust your AC maybe you should have bought a Lexus. THIS ISN'T AN A6 OR A8, it's a low model line A4. Think about it... Audi has more important things to worry about like Quattro, refinement, engines, schweet door blades that probably don't do much...

BTW, this is just silly

"...you paid too much for something that gives directions when you could easily go on the web and get them."

I believe that speaks for all navs unless they wipe your *** too.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Re: RNS-E Nav commands

Although I agree to some degree, you don't have the NAV as you claim. So these points are totally irrelevant to you and you would not feel the same. It's a matter of preference or choice.

I for one, which I had the capability of watching DVD movies while the car is parked. I have a 2 year old who asked to watch Shrek and Barney every time we get in the car, because we have the capability to do so in my other 2 vehicles. AC and other controls via voice commands is not much of a big deal I guess. But my point is why offer a unit called MMI (Multi Media Interface) and not have any option that compliments that?

Yet, have this same MMI option on the A6 or A8 and yet be able to do all the things I mentioned with no problem, yet pay the same price for the unit in the A4 with limited or no capabilities.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:51 AM

Default Re: It's just you, and maybe a few others. The RNS-E has won numerous awards...

Again, I agree to some extent, but good res and phonems? my Cadillac CTS-V leave this thing under water. I have 3D views and icons that look like real icons on my screen. The lexus and even the Mazda3 Nav look more realistic. 5.1 Dolby Digital and fully voice activated.

I paid $42K and change so yes, it is an A4 but with a heavy price tag behind it if you get it loaded. So don't tell me it's just an A4 as if I paid $20k for it.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default I don't agree.

The RNS-E was developed after the B6/B7 and 8P got released, it's a simple factory retrofit bringing the MMI style controls to the smaller models. The fact that you can't do certain things in the US doesn't mean that they don't exist. In Europe you can get the RNS-E High that allow full voice control of the Radio/MP3/CD/Navi portion of the RNS-E.

The RNS-E is still the only OEM head unit that supports SD cards. The fact that it doesn't support CD-Text is caused by the shared components, e.g. CD-changer, and compatibility of those shared devices with other head units.

The B8 will get the MMI from the C6 and D3 because it will share several platform components with the bigger models. Taken that there are more intergrated solutions out there today but none of them is a head unit only design that could have been integrated into the B6/B7. We will see new features in future A4 series cars but it's as always with Audi: evolution instead of revolution.

Have you ever tried to retrofit an OEM navigation system in another car? Good luck. Overall I think the RNS-E is well worth it's money that made me to keep my B6 for another couple of years until the B8 is out.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: I don't agree.

OK, so if they do exist, how can you make them active? How can I activate my DVD to play movies? How can you get voice activation for the other features? How can you do anything without a mayor retrofit?

My point is simple. Again, why sell a Multi Media interface that does nothing besides give you directions like any other NAV does, yet give it a fancy splash screen and hype it up? If this version is restricted, why sell it as such and not just. My other 2 vehicles give me more functionality from the factory and I don't even need a VAG tool or need to modify anything.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default They didn't sell you a Multi Media Interface with your A4.

They sold you a Navigation Plus with MMI logic and Bluetooth phone preparation with voice control. That's what you paid for and that's what you got.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 AM

Default I really like the Nav+

Do you have it? And if so, why did you get it if you don't like it?

I have it and love it. Definitely worth the $2K as far as I am concerned. The navigation function is great, works just like it should, and the screen and interface looks nice and really integrates into the interior. Do a search, it has been discussed before, but for about $500 you can get the Dietz components that will allow you to watch movies on the screen while the car is moving (or parked).

Are there annoying things about it? Sure. It definitely feels like it was designed and programmed by German automobile engineers instead of Japanese personal electronic device engineers. I can deal with that.

Your comments on the Bose are strange. I find that it sound best at lower volumes, that is, IMO, where the Bose system really shines. The level of detail available at volumes low enough to listen to the engine (I have the V6) and/or carry on a conversation with a passenger is its strong point. Not so great at louder volumes.

It's really all fairly subjective though. But to me anyway, it was definitely worth it.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 AM

Default Re: They didn't sell you a Multi Media Interface with your A4.

They sold you a Navigation Plus with MMI logic. That is exactly my point, MMI Logic. Multi Media Interface, what is multi media about it?

Listen, I'm not the only one here that questioned this or will. Just my observation and comparison the it's competitors. Nothing more.

Quick Reply: RNS-E Nav commands