A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

sat radio and newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sat radio and newb questions

Greetings all. Long time audi fan, new to the forum. Just working on a final price on what I hope will be my first audi, a 2007 B7 A4 avant. Hope to drive it home tomorrow.

It's pretty vanilla, low miles; DSG, premium package, and heated seats are the options.

If anyone is willing to help out a newb... have a couple of questions:

1-It's got this dated aftermarket Harmon/Kardon Drive + Play iPod controller professionally installed. There is a screen mounted on the left side of the dash, and a control *** behind the DSG shifter, that both have blue backlights. Also, there is an aftermarket Parrot bluetooth phone device, with this small screen hanging off the central console (also blue backlight).

I really don't like the looks of them. They won't make the car drive any better, and they mess with that audi interior that I'm sure everyone here loves. The dealer said they would remove them if I want; but anyone familiar with these and/or think they should stay? I'm not a big car talker, and figure the aux in would be fine for the iPod.

2-For satellite radio... - with 'satellite radio preparation', I assume that means I would need to have a receiver installed if I want it? Any recommendations on that? (that is, I don't know much about audis, yet, so should I go through an audi service shop to buy this and have it installed? aftermarket audio shop? order the receiver myself and bring it to a repair shop?)

Thanks for any help. Hope to make some decent contributions in time.
Rob
Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats on your new ride.

I just got a 2007 A4 myself and just did the Sat radio and AUX input. Very very easy. Buy an XM reciever on e-bay. Self install is about 10 min. In the trunk on the drivers side there is a cubby. Inside the cubby there is a drawer that slides out and that is where the Sat reciever goes. The factory wires are all there and it is a no brainer to connect. Push the drawer back in and just move the CAN Bus controller and you are in good shape. There are detailed instructions below (for a 2007 you don't need to take the trunk apart. Just pull the drawer out) The CAN bus is easy as well.

One thing I found is that if you want to go to the OEM ipod interface it will not work at the same time as having Sat radio. So if you want to get rid of the HK iPod interface and go with a univeral AUX in try the solution below. The iSimple solution is a little more complex so if you are not mechanically adept you can have it installed by a pro.

For XM Sat I used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

XM Install directions:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec121.shtml

For AUX in I used:

http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS31-U...6279545&sr=8-1

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SAT radio installation for avant any different?

Sweet. Thanks for the info rjkotler. Did work the deal today and am the happy owner of a bright red avant. Dealer quoted me $820 to purchase and install a Sirius satellite receiver for it, so I passed.

Is XM and Sirius basically the same now? Have only had Sirius before. Just checked the XM station list and it looks the same.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but anyone have any recommendations/pointers for installation in the avant, if it's any different - instructions in the tech article are for the sedan. I don't take delivery until Monday so I can't compare right now.
https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec121.shtml
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unless I'm missing something, why do you have to pull out all of the trim? The cover pops right off and there is easy access to the drawer and wiring. I want to install an XM unit, thanks for the info and parts list.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default follow up on SAT radio

Just received a Sirius receiver in the mail. New OEM equipment, bought on Ebay for $65. Will post information on how the install goes. RE the last post, I haven't tried to install it yet, but I wondered the same thing. Looks like on the Avant you can get direct access and don't need to remove any molding.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guys. Please see my post above. For 2007+ you DO NOT need to take the entire trunk apart. Just pull out the drawer!

You do have to pop the trim up front to move the Can Bus controller. That is very quick and easy. The only thing to note is that the metal clips may pop off the plastic and stay in the hole they clip into. Just pull them out and put them back on the plastic trim.

Other than that it should be a super easy mod.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default XM module part number

I can see in the tech article (https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec121.shtml) about the XM radio install that for B7 A4's with the RNS-E nav & tire pressure monitoring system I should use the 8E0 035 593 E, but I can't find any of the "E" units on ebay!

And would the 8E0 035 593 D also work the same because isn't XM & Sirius the same thing now?

I'm just trying to make sure I get the right unit that will work with my car.