A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

SCOOP: spoilerdepot.com is making a knock off votex 3 piece spoiler....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SCOOP: spoilerdepot.com is making a knock off votex 3 piece spoiler....

I have a votex on my current B6 A4 and my wife has the spoiler depot one on her's. It's very good quality and paint, but not exactly like the votex one. They must have used a different company's spoiler. They said their's is supposed to be just like the factory on and are finishing up the mold. He said it's 2 weeks away. They're cheap too. Come painted if you want.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool info...paint is tricky though

I've got the Votex spoiler and rear valence at the shop being painted right now and at least for quartz grey metallic it is pretty challenging. I went down today and left my fuel door with them overnight so that they could get the match perfect.

The first paint card they did wasn't even close...the paint guy said that the paint has small bits of "violet pearl effect" in it that makes it tough.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Elder Member

Default can't they just order the paint based on the paint code? i've never had any trouble

having shops match Dolphin just with the paint code alone
Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 PM

Default That's what they did, but it was still slightly off.

They ordered the paint based on the paint code, then sprayed and clear coated a test card and had me bring the car in to make sure it matched. It was close, but slightly off. Probably wouldn't have been noticeable on the rear valence, but it would have been noticeable on the spoiler.

Right away the paint guy was like "no way, it's off" -- it looked fine to me, but after a little while I was able to notice the difference. And once I noticed it, boy am I glad the spoiler isn't going to be that way ;-)
Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 AM

Default They don't order paint based on the paint code. They mix it.

Every body shop in the country has to mix their own paint. Where the problem lies is that they all use different paint companies ie. PPG, Dupont, Spies Hecker. For the paint to match, they must do spray outs onto cards to assure that the paint the mixed matches properly.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Re: They don't order paint based on the paint code. They mix it.

They took my paint code and ordered paint, but yeah, that's just a guideline I think. Usually the paint mixing/color matching step would be transparent to the customer, since in most cases when you get paint work done you leave your car on site.

They are using PPG paint on my car. The guy was saying you can adjust it and make it lighter and/or darker by changing the pressure on the paint gun, etc.