A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Severe Engine Vibrations A4 B7 2007 2.0T FWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe Engine Vibrations A4 B7 2007 2.0T FWD

Hey guys I was hoping someone out there could help me solve a problem that just started happening a few days ago with my A4. The car recently began have severe engine vibrations when idling or at a stop light to the point that the entire car shakes and you can actually see the car move from the outside.

I have been searching around the internet for a while now and found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDoBHFuHOC4 this video that shows almost exactly what I am experiencing, however, the guy in the video never successfully solved the problem.

I have yet to do much troubleshooting and really don't know where to start since I am fairly inexperienced with fixing cars.

The car also seems to be more sluggish than usual, but I have a hard time being able to tell.

I came across this http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Breather-Valve thread where a few people mentioned that replacing the PCV valve had fixed a rough idle problem for them. Some other threads also mentioned a quick troubleshooting check for a bad PCV valve. Someone said that if you are unable to remove the oil cap when the engine is idling than you need to replace the PCV and a few people suggested http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...CV-Revamp.html this mod to fix the PCV problem.

Has anyone else here heard of a PCV problem causing an engine to vibrate so violently? I'm a little bit reluctant to just go in ***** nilly and start replacing things that might not fix the problem.

Does anyone know of any other common problems with the A4 B7 2007 2.0T FWD models that could cause this type of vibration?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ck engine lite on?
miss fires,also a few recalls on that engine,u might what to call your
local dealership and give them your vin# to see if needed,recalls that is

hope that helps
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

the PCV is one of the recalls...it is actually an extended warranty. Just go into the dealer, tell them your issues and have them scan your ECU for any fault codes. They will replace all parts/service free of charge if your vin# was included in the extension.

Audi of America can also tell you if you vin# was included.

If your ECU is tuned/upgraded, the dealer may not honor the warranty so just a heads up there.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi01a6
ck engine lite on?
miss fires,also a few recalls on that engine,u might what to call your
local dealership and give them your vin# to see if needed,recalls that is

hope that helps
coil packs maybe too?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So the check engine light came on this morning and I went to Advance Auto on my lunch break since I don't have an Audi Dealer within 50 miles of my location and had them diagnose. It came up with a 'generic' error message saying that the system was running too lean, but, like a dummy, I didn't ask them for the specific code that it gave. I'll end up going back later to find out which specific code the ODB code it was giving.

I guess that does narrow it down to one of these error codes:
P1111 O2 Control (Bank 1) System too lean
P1124 Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Air.,Bank1 System too Lean
P1126 Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Air.,Bank2 System too Lean
P1128 Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank1 System too Lean
P1130 Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank2 System too Lean
P1136 Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Fuel,Bank1 System too Lean
P1138 Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Fuel,Bank2 System too Lean (or)
P1147 O2 Control (Bank 2) System too lean

based on the first google result of Audi fault codes I have found.

I also checked the Audi website to see if I had any recalls but my VIN didn't return any results.

I'm not really sure what a lot of these error codes really indicate and the only thing that the person at Advance Auto was able to tell me that there might be a vacuum problem and that is where I should start my troubleshooting.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes coil pack too
Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

pm me your vin# and i'll ck it out,ok
Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I went back to Advance Auto and had them put the diagnostic tool back on for the check engine light that came on and the code that came out was P0171 with a description of "Bank 1 system too lean" and a suggestion to fix the crankcase breather.

I may start out with replacing the PCV valve system and see if that works, it seems like a relatively easy fix IMO. My biggest question is whether I should go ahead with the aftermarket http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...CV-Revamp.html or the standard replacement of the breather tube http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-...ion/ES2099472/
Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rpdmatt
So I went back to Advance Auto and had them put the diagnostic tool back on for the check engine light that came on and the code that came out was P0171 with a description of "Bank 1 system too lean" and a suggestion to fix the crankcase breather.

I may start out with replacing the PCV valve system and see if that works, it seems like a relatively easy fix IMO. My biggest question is whether I should go ahead with the aftermarket http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...CV-Revamp.html or the standard replacement of the breather tube http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-...ion/ES2099472/
If you're going to go the PCV route...you should really call Audi of America and give them your VIN# or bring it to an Audi dealer. If you are covered it will be a free of charge replacement.

You will be able to get a lot of answers by just talking to Audi customer service.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, I am pretty sure that it is the PCV because I can actually hear the valve sucking in air at this point (something I couldn't hear earlier). It's actually http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-...ion/ES2103301/ making a sucking or vacuum-y sound from the round part on this piece.

Good news! I called Audi of America and they said I am covered with a Warranty Extension regarding the PCV valve (pending diagnosis, of course..), but the only problem is that the closest Audi dealership to me is 1.5 hours away, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it to go ahead to them and have the service done or just order the part and DIY it. I'm also slightly concerned about driving this thing for that long with the current problem. Will it cause any long term harm? I'm veering towards just going to the dealership and having them replace it, but I'd love to hear some more advice, or maybe some advice from someone who has tried that BSH PCV Remod. Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully once I replace this I'll be in perfect operating condition once again.

Quick Reply: Severe Engine Vibrations A4 B7 2007 2.0T FWD