A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tires

I recently moved to NH for school and the recent snowfall promted me to consider purchasing snow tires. My 2008 A4 came with Pirelli P6 Four Seasons. Any opinions on whether I should opt for snow tires or just stick with stock? My previous A4 had Continental All Season tires and faired quite well driving in snow.

A few people mentioned Tire Rack for good deals. Since I am a student I am hoping they won't be necessary, but if they are, I would prefer to get a good deal.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Snow Tires

Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie
I recently moved to NH for school and the recent snowfall promted me to consider purchasing snow tires. My 2008 A4 came with Pirelli P6 Four Seasons. Any opinions on whether I should opt for snow tires or just stick with stock? My previous A4 had Continental All Season tires and faired quite well driving in snow.

A few people mentioned Tire Rack for good deals. Since I am a student I am hoping they won't be necessary, but if they are, I would prefer to get a good deal.

Thoughts?
My personal opinion is: go with four (4) true winter tires. Here in Quebec (Canada), snow tires are now mandatory. The deadline this year is December 15th. Get caught with 4-seasons and it’ll cost you a $300 ticket. I was always a believer in winter tires for three major reasons:
1. Much better traction even in low temperatures;
2. Much better control;
3. Shorter stopping distances.

Look on the bright side, your Pirelli P6 Four Seasons will last twice as long since you will only be using them about 6 months out of the year. I have been living here in Quebec all of my 60 years and have seen many winters over my 41 years of driving. You can’t beat winter tires, period.

As for the best place to buy, I can’t honestly say. All US prices are great deals to us!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've done a lot of driving in NH in both the original Continental All Seasons, and the proper winter tires I have now, and it's like night and day. While you probably won't get stuck/stranded using the all seasons (assuming quattro), you'll actually be able to stop with winter tires. Not hitting another car, tree, or guard rail is well worth the price.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunlop Winter Sport 3D i've had mine for 3 seasons now they are great and have great tread life.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thoughts?
Town fair tire - all over NH & get a set of Bridgestone Bilzzaks
You'll love em $85/tire
Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thoughts?
Also being from the New England, I understand your concerns with tires. I just got my B7 a week ago, and have already ordered my snow tires from Tire Rack. I decided on the Pilot Alpin PA2 by Michelin. $159 per tire. But as the one gentleman from Quebec said, they'll be used only in the winter, so they should (knock on wood) last me a decent amount of seasons! Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks for all of the advice - 235 vs. 215

First off thanks for all of the advice. The snow gods were kind and dumped 4-6 inches overnight so I had the opportunity to test my stock tires on the way into school today. Although they got me from point A to B, I definately had very little stopping/turning control.

Looks like I will be placing an order from Tire Rack today. As such, I have one additional question. My car currently has 235/45/17, do you guys recommend getting a snow tire in the same dimensions or 215/55/16?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for all of the advice - 235 vs. 215

First off thanks for all of the advice. The snow gods were kind and dumped 4-6 inches overnight so I had the opportunity to test my stock tires on the way into school today. Although they got me from point A to B, I definately had very little stopping/turning control.

Looks like I will be placing an order from Tire Rack today. As such, I have one additional question. My car currently has 235/45/17, do you guys recommend getting a snow tire in the same dimensions or 215/55/16?
Here you may get a different answer from people. I currently have a slightly narrower tire: 205/55R/16. I have always been told a narrower tire is better for “cutting” through snow. I’m sure your tire source can also recommend what you should go with.

The snow gods are currently here North of the border and could be dumping anywhere form 8 to 12” of the white stuff today.

It’s Quattro time.

Last edited by Old Dog; 12-09-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: To put in thread title
Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Here you may get a different answer from people. I currently have a slightly narrower tire: 205/55R/16. I have always been told a narrower tire is better for “cutting” through snow. I’m sure your tire source can also recommend what you should go with.

The snow gods are currently here North of the border and could be dumping anywhere form 8 to 12” of the white stuff today.

It’s Quattro time.
I agree Old Dog. I have always heard the narrower the tire the better it is to "slice", or as you put it "cut" through the snow.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Snow Tires

Originally Posted by Johnsonmatthew845
I agree Old Dog. I have always heard the narrower the tire the better it is to "slice", or as you put it "cut" through the snow.
While doing my daily review of the Q5 forum to see what’s happening with my future dream ride (hopefully), I came across a thread originally posted by “kleinbus” which should resolve the question once and for all “What is a better tire in the winter?”: All Seasons or Winters.

A must view.

Q5 Forum: Posted by “kleinbus” under thread entitled “Q5 ABS Brakes”.

The last test, going around the corner is worth of attention.
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter

Ice hockey rink,
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=26&tab=winter

Quick Reply: Snow Tires