A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

summer/all-season tires for a rainy climate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summer/all-season tires for a rainy climate?

I’m looking into buying a new set of tires for my A4 and need a recommendation as to whether I should go with summers or all-seasons. I know that a two-tire setup is best, but I live in Seattle meaning the dry season is very short and snow isn’t much of an issue (making such a setup less than ideal).

My main concern is finding a high performance tire that offers good wet traction. Will summer tires offer sufficient grip for our extremely-common rainy days, or should I go with an all-season setup? In either case, what are a few tires I should consider? If possible I’d rather not pay an arm and a leg, being that I am currently among the unemployed masses.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Milne42
I’m looking into buying a new set of tires for my A4 and need a recommendation as to whether I should go with summers or all-seasons. I know that a two-tire setup is best, but I live in Seattle meaning the dry season is very short and snow isn’t much of an issue (making such a setup less than ideal).

My main concern is finding a high performance tire that offers good wet traction. Will summer tires offer sufficient grip for our extremely-common rainy days, or should I go with an all-season setup? In either case, what are a few tires I should consider? If possible I’d rather not pay an arm and a leg, being that I am currently among the unemployed masses.

Thanks!
I live in Seattle too, and if you're not going to the mountains at all in winter it's pointless to get the two sets. Stick with an all season..

Which all season is what I'm struggling with, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus looks to be the best on Tirerack.com, but theyre spendy.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by topshelf BiZ
I live in Seattle too, and if you're not going to the mountains at all in winter it's pointless to get the two sets. Stick with an all season..

Which all season is what I'm struggling with, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus looks to be the best on Tirerack.com, but theyre spendy.
I've had the Micheline PS AS's on two different A4's. You get what you pay for..they're absolutely great tires.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Jer
AudiWorld Member

I had Continental Extremes on an A6 I had (it was a 4.2 so quite a heavier and different handling car) and they were great. Good tread life, great traction in the winter, low road noise and fairly affordable for what you got. If/when I need new tires for this B7 A4 I plan to look into the same make to replace these tires.