A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Is there a plan "B"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quattro vs xdrive

I don't know if one can out right say that one system is better than the other system. All AWD systems have their weakness and strengths. For example, the torsen's weakness is the weight and limitation on how it can be packaged together (and hence our engines are ahead of the front axle) while with a viscous the engine is further back like the BMW's.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:59 AM

Default Seems like Audi is moving away from turbo engines...

All the of the S and RS cars are high rev-ing NA engines...with the exception of the S/RS incarnations of the A3 and TT.

Audi had a lot of success with the 1.8T and the 2.7T engines...for their time they were really groundbreaking. BUT...this has led to a lot of "souped up" B5 and B6 (and C5) cars with those engines on the roads now. Seeing those Audis with blacked out windows, black wheels, ridiculously low suspensions whooshing and farting and racing from every stoplight probably isn't exactly the best brand image for Audi. Not that there is anything wrong with people who want to do that to their cars -- but lets face it, the majority of people who buy Audis really don't fit that whole "Fast and Furious" image.

Personally, I think it is a smart move on Audi's part. Keep the turbo engines in the smaller sports cars and entry level models. But give the more expensive Audis engines that ooze refinement and luxury -- i.e. NA engines.

In short I think it is more about brand perception than anything else.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MEH... Audi's Plan "B" is not being BMW. You'd think this were a BMW board...
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default My plan B is to get a BMW, either an X3 or 335i

I want to move up to a 6-cylinder for my next car. Unfortunately, Audi's lease numbers for the 6MT 3.2 quattro S-line I want are not competitive (comparable MSRP to a less loaded 335i Sport, lower residual value and higher MF). I am simply not going to pay more per month for a 3.2 A4 than the much better performing 335i. I live in SoCal and don't need quattro, so Audi's technological advantage is out the window for me.

I am not crazy about the exterior or interior of the E90 sedan and I think these are the only two areas in which the A4 excels over the 3-Series, but unfortunately that's not enough for me.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have a very similar take as you...

When my Audi lease expires, I am seriously considering a BMW 328xi Sports Wagon. For a few reasons:

* Sport Seats in 328xi (can't get them in the Audi A4)
* BMW pricing was lower on similar equiped A4 Avant with 3.2
* Financing rates are a heck of a lot better with BMW

I do have a few things that I do not like about BMW:

* No spare tire, just run-flats
* Terrible cup holders
* No color display/cluster available

The above are small things, but I can live with them. As for the X-Drive compared to Quattro, I have heard it go both ways. I think both systems will have strengths and weaknesses.

Cheers,

Chuck
Old 12-05-2006, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd rather Audi put a light bi-turbo treatment on the 3.2, it would be a rocket!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi's plan B?

Its very simple, ive driven the very same car, and i came away absolutely in love with the engine. I fully recognize that with chipping/work it will walk a S4, but there a few issues that needs to be fixed. I currently lease through my company a BMW 7series, and the car has been nothing more than a head and a PIA. 32 trips to the dealership in under 9months and FINALLY BMW is giving me a new car (there reasonin stood new car = extension of lease and high payment). Ive driven plenty of loaner BMWs and im sorry fit finish of interior is not to Audi standards.

Negatives that will keep me in an AUDI
1. Fit finish of interior
2. Quality of products
3. Negative experience with BMW of USA
4. Negative Experience with BMW finicial services
5. RELIABILITY

id pass on the 3 series. Also their navigation system is the worst fitted into a luxury car ever.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not buying an Audi w/o a turbo. There I said it.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C5 RS6 is biturbo...the C6 RS6 may be as well.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm very dissapointed with Audi and VW....

it seems like they can't give us what we want. No S3. No TT 2.0T or A3 2.0T with quattro. No A3 3.2 with a 6spd. No MKV VW R32 with a 6spd and the Passat R36 may not make it over to this side of the pond. I like my A4 3.2 but I don't love it! I want a little pocket rocket with quattro and a 6spd. I am seriously considering ending my relationship with VAG products and trying out a BMW when my lease is up. Wake up AOA and VOA! Idiots

Quick Reply: Is there a plan "B"?