A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Thinking of buying a 2006 2.0T A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 2006 2.0T A4 Quattro

So I have been car shopping and I have found a gorgeous A4, but want to make sure I do my research and find that it is going to be a good buy. The car is in great condition, was lowered and looks awesome, and has 47k miles on it with regular maintenance every 10k miles.

No issues with the car (inside and out), was inspected by the dealer for a clean bill of health, but I wanted to see if I should be wary of anything, or getting ready for a heads up for possible problems. I know Audi's are well build machines and with maintenance that is kept up, they will last. Just wanted to get peoples opinions and insight on the matter, so thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bought the same car in October with 37k miles on it. Already got it up to 45k miles. Took it in for the 45k service yesterday and got hit up for $600 to replace front brakes. Pads were still original when i got the car.....so that's somthin you should look for. If they are indeed the original pads, tell them you'll buy the car once they've changed the brake pads and rotors. End of story. My bet is they'll do it. Otherwise, drive the car and if all sounds well, it most likely is well. Normal things you'll hear include: whine from turbo, rattles and other noises cuz its cold out....Audi's are very prone to this. That's about it. The car is fully broken in at about 35k - 40k so its prime time for drivin. You can see my mods below and i gotta tell u, the car pulls hard. I test drove a 2010 S4 yesterday when my car was being serviced and it felt extremely sluggish compared to my car. Obviously it has to be broken in. Anyway, the 2.0T is an exceptional engine and WILL last a very long time (if maintenance is kept up with). Good Luck!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought my 06 A4 2 years ago with the certified warranty. MAKE SURE its included. I love my car and plan on keeping it for a long time but I've had to bring it to the dealership at least 7 times for everything from new coils to HVAC to stuck thermostats and strange noises. Everytime the check engine light goes on or a system alarm sounds I cringed. (I live 42 miles away from the nearest Audi dealer). Currently, I have headlight dipping problems with the xenon headlights. They go out for no reason. I shut down the lights and quickly turn them on and it's fixed. Currently, I'm noticing a noise from the engine during cold starts. My garage is heated but with the very cold weather (10F) we've been having it's around (38F). I've also replaced pads and rotors too. The car is a blast to drive looks good, handles great in all weather but with all the little problems, I am sure glad I have that certified warranty. Make sure you drive a bunch of them before you pick one.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome, at least it is good news! I know that I am to use Premium gas in the car, due to the turbo and the engine needs the higher octane rating, but in regards to service... Do I have to take it to a dealer or does a certified shop that will not cost me nearly as much money be an ok and better way to go? Just making sure I have all my bases covered; can't stop thinking about that A4 though, I really am leaning towards getting it!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you wanna play you gotta pay. I wouldn't recomend bringing it to anyone other than AUDI, or a really good mechanic that you know very well who has worked on AUDIs before. Otherwise, buy the service manual and the parts and do the work yourself. It really isn't as hard as everyone thinks it is. But, make sure you follow instructions to the T and before doing a particular job, talk to people, search the web and forums and find various tips that may help you do the servicing. Yes, you should use the best gas (93 or at least 91). If you "chip" the car you have a choice of different programs that require different octanes, i.e...91, 93, etc. The 93 octane programs are really fun. Enjoy.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My best advice is to make sure it is quattro and S-line. Looks like you have the quattro covered. Make sure you get the sport package. Big difference IMO.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quatro

Hi a have had my 2006 Audi A4 2.0T quatro for almost a year now. The only problem that I have had is the Electronic Diveter Valve going bad. Due to a bad design. But I baught a new one from ECS Tuning. It was around $80.00. But all in all an awesome car that drives well in all weather and I love my car. Definitely get a warrenty for the car and I agree with getting the brakes done before buying the audi. I just got done doing the front rotors and pads and it cost me around $250.00 if done by yourself. Not a hard job to do. Well good luck and hope to hear if you get it.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all for the great info. I am taking the car to get a full detailed look to see what might be a problem (brakes, tubes etc..) and hopefully everything comes out clean. He has replaced the brake pads already and the rotors according to him were more than fine, I guess I will find out. I will take pics tomorrow when I take it in and post them tomorrow, so check back in then to see this awesone car. Again I really appreciate all the help and input, it has really helped me push forward to getting this great machine!

-Kevin
Old 02-06-2010, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Delmed83
Bought the same car in October with 37k miles on it. Already got it up to 45k miles. Took it in for the 45k service yesterday and got hit up for $600 to replace front brakes. Pads were still original when i got the car.....so that's somthin you should look for. If they are indeed the original pads, tell them you'll buy the car once they've changed the brake pads and rotors. End of story. My bet is they'll do it. Otherwise, drive the car and if all sounds well, it most likely is well. Normal things you'll hear include: whine from turbo, rattles and other noises cuz its cold out....Audi's are very prone to this. That's about it. The car is fully broken in at about 35k - 40k so its prime time for drivin. You can see my mods below and i gotta tell u, the car pulls hard. I test drove a 2010 S4 yesterday when my car was being serviced and it felt extremely sluggish compared to my car. Obviously it has to be broken in. Anyway, the 2.0T is an exceptional engine and WILL last a very long time (if maintenance is kept up with). Good Luck!!!
You've got to be kidding me about the S4 being slow compared to an A4.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I finally got my car! Though it was different than what I first started to look at.

2007 A4 2.0T with 21k miles, fully loaded aside nav and heated seats. Black on black and everything checks out on the car completely. The only thing is the phone adapter was taken, and the part attached to the car (arm rest) is still there, so I need to get that part so I can hook up my phone in there. Got all this for the low price of $21k and the car drives like a dream! Thanks all for input, and I cannot wait to do some nice addons for this beauty! Pictures to come soon