A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Vibration in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in steering wheel

Well, after watching the guy try and rebalance my tires it's pretty obvious that the original 5-double spoke rims would not sit centred with the balancing machine, and hence they balanced my wheel based on it off-centred. Not sure why the other guy didn't obviously see this as the wheel would have been visibly shaking from side to side or up and down the first time.

Either the hole isn't properly centred on the rim or it's not mounting correctly which is probably the case, I'll need to look for another shop to balance the wheels - either on the car or with the proper adapter to mount the rims on centred.

So for those about to get their rims rebalanced, watch them balance it and specifically, watch the tire spin and make sure it isn't wobbling either horizontally or vertically.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 PM

interesting!! I have this issue, so it IS correctable??
Old 11-22-2005, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We'll see

Of course I'm trying to find a place that can do this properly, think I found one, though with the seasonal mad rush in people buying winter tires at the last minute, I'll see if I can get in the queue tomorrow morning for them to do that as he told me. He did tell me the best would be to come back after the 25th, when the mad rush in winter tires is more or less done as they make the biggest bang for the buck vs doing wheel balancing. I couldn't believe he told me that but he does have a point!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:35 PM

Default so it's basically the dealership not knowing what they're doing??

frustrating!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't really know

I called service and talked to the service advisor to see if they could do it, they could. When I mentioned about the problem I had in getting it to mount dead centred he really didn't understand what I was trying to convey.

I would assume that the dealer would have the necessary adapter to mount the rim via the lugs instead of using some sort of cone adapter that would work with most but not all rims.

So, he told me it would take about 1.5 hours to balance it properly, so rounded up to two hours and $60/hour shop rate, that was $120CDN. Uh no thanks, something doesn't add up, it doesn't take 1.5 hours to balance four wheels.

But for you guys having problems with vibration and going back to the dealer to get the problem addressed, see if you can stand by and watch the tire rotation on their balancer. If it's wobbly, no good and point it out to them.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What I don't understand...

Not giving you a hard time, but I don't understand the whole dialog of wheel centered, not centered, balance, out of balance, etc.

What I would say:

"My car isn't right. The wheel vibrates. Please schedule an appointment for me to fix it."

Suggesting the source of the problem gets you nothing. Even to the point that a good service advisor should say something like "We'll look at it. Maybe it's that, maybe it's something else. We're just going to write down the symptoms at this point and go from there."

If you changed tires or wheels, that's different, but for a new car, in factory order, under warranty, just tell them what's wrong and ask for it to be fixed.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No prob

Well to balance the tire I think we all know that the tire needs to be mounted properly so it's not all wobbly and such as it was pretty visible when the guy tried to balance it this afternoon. Otherwise you're putting on weights to cancel the wobble.

I forgot one point - I can't do this under warranty as I had the winter rubber mounted on the factory rims, and hence why Audi wants to charge me - no misunderstanding there.

Hence the point is for those who have a vibration since day one, I would just make sure that when they balance the wheel, it's mounted on the balancer properly. This would definetly be convered under warranty.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

NTB balance mine twice and didnt resolve the issue...so not just the dealer
Old 11-22-2005, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hunter GSP9700 Locator....

<ul><li><a href="http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm">http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm</a</li></ul>