A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

What Oil/Filter do I need to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$12 to change the oil? that's cheap...i just called mine and they are charging $35. But they said they have a list of stuff to check. Perhaps I will alternate between the two shops.

I also went to autozone and got the $27.99 deal...however they don't have the oil filter for my car so i got it for another car. I wasn't going to use the Fram oil filter because I found the Mann filter on amazon and it's not too expensive. So i'll use that instead.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FrankieY18
I'm at Bridgewater...i had always taken my car to dealership to do oil change until now because the warranty has expired. I found a body shop that is audi/VW certified...since it's closer to my work place so I might try to have them do it for me...but I still want to buy my own oil since i don't know what kind they use...by the way, how much does your mechanic charge for oil change?

I found Mobil1 0w-40 at autozone but they didn't have the mobil1 oil filter, so I couldn't get the special deal...now this week, it's for castrol oil + fram oil filter...

has anyone used Fram Tough Guard Oil Filter before? If so, what's your review on it?

Stay away from Fram oil filters. You get exactly what you pay for w/them. A CHEAP FILTER.

If you're going to spend good money for synthetic oil, do likewise for an oil filter, like OEM (Audi), Mobil 1, NAPA, WIX, Purolator, but stay the heck away from Frams.

Reason, Frams are cheaply made, cut one open or look it up on the net, and have a quality issue, in that they have been known to totally disintegrate in engines. I know two (2) different mechanics who have seen it happen, where the filter core has disintegrated.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FrankieY18
$12 to change the oil? that's cheap...i just called mine and they are charging $35. But they said they have a list of stuff to check. Perhaps I will alternate between the two shops.

I also went to autozone and got the $27.99 deal...however they don't have the oil filter for my car so i got it for another car. I wasn't going to use the Fram oil filter because I found the Mann filter on amazon and it's not too expensive. So i'll use that instead.
I've been going to him forever, so I don't know if he is giving me a break. I am having him rotate the tires and check the brake pads too. But that's about it. I can check fluids myslef. I am just annoyed that Audi charges $150.00 to do a simple oil change and tire rotation, plus to 'check' stuff. I'm sure if my mechanic sees any unusual wear, he will let me know. But he won't charge me an arm and a leg......