A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Whats inside brake Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:23 AM
HS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats inside brake Master Cylinder?

With ABS off, my brake bias is way off for snow.

Was wondering if there is a proportioning spring in the Master cylinder, or it is straight 50/50 with value in ABS assembly?

If 50/50 I can just bypass ABS, with a couple of T adaptors and a Tilton or Wilwood adjustable bias value.

Manuals still haven't showed up, and I don't want to take everything apart to figure this out.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:08 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default How do you have your ABS off? Pulled fuse?

Audi has Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD).
"Electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) and the anti-lock braking system (ABS), constitute one unit inasmuch as they share a number of the same parts. EBD ensures maximum braking performance at the front and rear wheels and under normal conditions it prevents the rear-end from braking away because of over-braking. The system counteracts "fading" as a result of overheating. "

If you pulled the fuse for the ABS this also disable EBD and would explain why your bias would be way off and would definitley be more noticable in snow conditions.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:28 AM
HS

Default Re: How do you have your ABS off? Pulled fuse?

EBD is electronic bias control, default is very good on tarmac.

Have fuse 11 out, kills sensor pack for ABS, ESP, and new active air bag system.

I know there is a bias control in ABS module, I just need to know if there is any bias spring in MC as well.

Will likely CNC machine a nice housing for direct replacement of stock ABS block, so hoses will screw right in. Ordered a Wilwood bias adjuster today, will just take the "guts" out and incorperate it into the new block.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:18 AM

Default Alot of modern cars with ABS are 50/50 when ABS is disengaged

This gives the car the greatest ability to adjust on its own.

I haven't actually looked too hard at a B7 A4 ABS setup but my A3 for example only has two lines going from the master to the ABS control module.. So left right and front back are somehow paired. You may have to adjust bias after the ABS control module to get the results you want.

For all intesive purpose the only reason fluid is going between the master and the ABS control module is for a pressure reading and as a safety back up. They could essentially just put an electrical pressure switch on the brake pedal and skip the whole master, other then they are using it for pressure so save on what the pump has to do.

If your plan is to really defeat all this I'd get a master from an older car if yours is only a two line and do the bias that way. You'd have to run new lines but heck you'd have to do that anyway to do any kind of in cockpit bias control.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:44 AM
HS

Default Re: Alot of modern cars with ABS are 50/50 when ABS is disengaged

Thanks,
Yes is just a two line. Doesn't seem to be enough room in MC to have a bias spring.

Going to make a block thats sits where ABS module is, with bias adjuster built it (not cockpit controlled), so no need to run any more lines, just screw in current lines.

Was just out taking measurements of the stock positions. Will finish design as soon as adjuster comes in.

Should be easy to change out if I wish to go back to ABS for summer (unlikely).
Old 08-30-2006, 12:39 PM

Default You're my idol. Let me know how it goes.

I too am a strong opponent of ABS.

Let me know how your mod goes.

I'm looking to get rid of my ABS but was also worried about proportioning.

When I grew up (like 8 years ago) I didn't have ABS.

I never had to ask the car if it thought it was ok for me to stop! I just pushed on the pedal and the car stopped! What an idea! Those were the days! If the tires locked up I just let off the brake!

-Joe