A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Whats your brake pads of choice? Hard street driving.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes are only 1/2 the battle. Consider sticky tires too.

The answer to this isn't so straight forward. The amount of cool down between stops and how much speed do you need to scrub off between braking?

"Street" depends really on where you live and what you're driving on. If for example, you're out near kingman AZ vs long island, NY, the suggestions are going to be quite different for "hard street" driving.

is you're street mostly highway and off ramps or high speed secondary roads? or is it full of stoplights and 90 degree intersections?

Someone mentioned Hawk Blues. There is no way i would recommend these. It's not just that they are brutal on rotors when below temp, or that they generate tons of dust, but rather that the dust will destroy the finish on your car if you find yourself using them below temp, the dust gets on your doors and it gets wet. (I've seen this happen)

I have come into a toll booth on a very dark night with sparks flying out of my wheel wells though - that was a nice display

It's likely that a set of something more similar to axxis ultimates would be sufficient. They're dusty, but they don't destroy the finish on the car. Braking from 120mph down to 40 is reasonable so long as it isn't repeated multiple times in short succession. That's not something that should be occurring on the street. If it is for you, or if you constantly push the limit coming down canyon roads, then perhaps I stand corrected and the Hawk Blue is what you need.

If you really want to improve your stopping performance, a set of sticky tires is really essential.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Former Vendor

Default Available from us..

Just visit our website and browse your vehicle.
Feel free to email or call if you have questions.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I talked to the guys at Carbotech and basically they say less dust than OEM if I dont mind some nois

good cold bite. The noise can be reduced with some anti squeal gel when putting them on. The bobcats are great for street, good bite, no noise no dust and are ok for spirited street driving. That might be what I need. Ill order than you.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I ran Hawk HP Plus part of the summer and on the track

Same amount of dust as the Pagid OEM, no wear sensors, dramatic difference in performance. And on the track, no hint of fade and no goo on my rotors after. I swapped them out for OEMs now for winter, but I'll run them for track events next year. On the street, they did squeel just a little, and only occasionally - hardly noticeable.

I got them from ECS, and they have the proper clips for the B7 anti-rattle spring. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: Whats your brake pads of choice? Hard street driving.

carbotech suck!!! i found out the hard way with my Stasis Alcon4 -- The pads that were put in were riveted and not bonded so with over 3mm brake pads left, the rivet damaged my rotor and I was pissed ---- I agree with the Ferodo DS2500 that I have now -- they are great!!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Where to buy these for stock B7 A4 brakes? I want to price them out.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

shoot raceshopper an email and see if they have them
Old 11-14-2008, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I went on their website and its terrible and I cant find pricing.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Stop being an idiot. FILL OUT THE FORM ON THE SITE.

They'll usually email you back within an hour or two.

They have the best prices and good communication.

Or just call them. Phones aren't obsolete yet, are they?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I dont have the patience.

Quick Reply: Whats your brake pads of choice? Hard street driving.