A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Winter rattles and such

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter rattles and such

Well, it that time of year again when the weather turns cold and season squeeks and rattles appear. I have two mostly annoying noises that pop up around this time.

1) Both front seats periodically make a squeeking noise as if you were sitting on an old mattress. I do not know what causes this but it is coming from the seat cusions.

2) Driver's door tweeter makes a subtle rattle over less than perfect roads. I had the dealer address this 3 yrs ago. They took my door panel off and I guess tightened everything inside. The rattle is back. I may just have to take the door panel off myself this time to investigate the problem. How hard is it to remove the driver's door panel??

Does anyone else have the same sounds during the colder climates??
Share your stories.....
Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't know how old the Audi is, but I've had the same problem with my seats making that noise. It's generally the leather on the right side of the seat rubbing up against the seat belt buckle. Audi has remidied this problem by putting the soft part of velcro on each side of the seat belt buckle now. I don't know if that helps or not. Also, as far as the tweeter noise goes, The door panels aren't too hard to get off, just a lot of hidden screws and snaps; your best bet is to get the panel off, look for loose parts and then dynomat or something similar the door so that it makes it more soundproof, insulated and quiet.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. Today the driver's side tweeter was silent all the way to work, but the passanger side tweeter was making the same noise. LOL. I guess all cars make noises and rattles that eventually go away with time and temp.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I second the soft-side Velcro trick to quite the cold weather leather noises between your seat and seat belt.

As for the tweeters, I use a glue called "super weather adhesive." It is a black silicon glue that dries into a type of gum. It holds great but is completely removable because it stays soft and gum-like. Great for absorbing speaker vibrations while maintaining the ability to remove said speaker later.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice, but the seat noise isn't actually coming from the seatbelts holder rubbing against the seat, its completely diffent. The seat will make a noise if I push down directly onto the front cushion. The sound is coming from within the actual seat cushion. Again, this problem doesnt appear all the time. It pops up periodically.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ashaffer1903
... Audi has remidied this problem by putting the soft part of velcro on each side of the seat belt buckle now. I don't know if that helps or not...
Mine has that, but every now and then the seatbelt buckle (fastened to the car) move just a hair forward or backwards and it will start up again. All it takes is moving it into the corner where the seat bottom and upright come together. (if that makes any sense...)

My most anoying one is over the driver's seat and sounds like its' coming from under the headliner below the "oh crap" handle... only shows it's ugly face in the winter! LOL

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only rattles I get with my '07 A4 come from the front seat's dome light area. I've yet to find a great permanent solution to this issue. If I press upwards on the dome light area, the rattles are silenced. I do have a sunroof. Anyone have a good solution to this? I'm considering removing the dome light cover and snooping around...
Old 10-15-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't remember where I saw it but I remember reading a post on this same issue with the dome light rattle and they did a whole post with pictures and explaining how they fixed it. If I'm not mistaken I believe it was something with the lightbulb harness inside the dome light so i would start there, or do a search for dome light rattle on audiworld. Also you said if you push down on the front of the seat you hear some noise, do you have a newer audi with the storage compartments under the seats?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an 06 A4 with the storage compartment under the seat. Does that have anything to do with the noise? If I can discribe the noise best, it would be that it sounds like there are old, rusty, worn out springs in the seat cushion itself , like an old mattress.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! I'll give this a try...

Quick Reply: Winter rattles and such