A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Wow, XM just completely reaffirmed my decision to cancel the service.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wow, XM just completely reaffirmed my decision to cancel the service.

I had a gift card for a year of free service so I went ahead and activated the service last year. The gift card prepayment ran out in January of this year and I didn't find the service to be worth the money so I chose not to renew. Bear in mind that when I set up the service I never signed any paperwork or agreed to any sort of auto-renewal process. Nor did I give them any credit card info. So ever since the gift cards have been expired I've been receiving automated XM calls telling me to call to restart my service. After about the 9th call, I finally phoned back today to cancel the service formally. After 40 minutes (40?!?!) on hold someone finally came on the line and informed me that I had a past due balance of $6 and change, which of course I refuse to pay due to the above outlined reasons (never signed a contract, was never mailed any paperwork indicating that I implied consent to the contract by activating the service, etc.) Anyway, the guy told me that they couldn't complete cancellation until I gave him a credit card number, so I asked what he was going to do, continue to NOT provide me with service since that was what I was requesting anyway? After going in this circle for about 5 minutes, he said that if I choose to restart the service I will first have to pay the past due amount, which is GREAT logic in how to earn back a customer. THEN he asks me (obviously reading from a cancellation script) if there was anything he could have done differently to keep me as a customer. I just chuckled and wished him a nice afternoon.

It's been said before, but small wonder that they are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy right now. Can't wait for that collections notice in the mail :/
Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canceling has always been a PITA, but the service is worth it IMHO.

I can't go without having XM or Sirius. We have XM in one car and Sirius in the Audi, and I have had XM pretty much since it came out. It's worth every penny to me, but I just have to brace myself for any stressful calls to make changes. I haven't actually dealt with Sirius support yet, but XM was always a hassle. Unless I was activating.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For me there were just too many commercials and too crappy sound quality.

My girlfriend and I have taken two roadtrips now sans-XM and found that it's really not missed. Granted they were only ~4 hours each way, but still, we just found that our music libraries were large enough to not need the XM stuff.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM

2nd. I can't go without it either.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Forward to your state's AG's office

They love going after large companies like this. Even if the amount in dispute is small, if they get enough complaints similar to this, they will railroad them.

Curious, why didn't you ask him for evidence where it states you have agreed to pay for the service beyond the period provided by the GC? If he can't produce it, you can't owe them anything. And regardless of whether you owe or not, if you want to be dropped, they have to discontinue the service, no if's and's or but's. The AG's office would be very interested in the fraudulent nature of their "subscriptions" and their refusal to discontinue the service if that was the case. They don't take this stuff lightly. If you haven't already done so, document the facts, get what you can in writing and forward to the AG's office.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good suggestion, will do. FWIW, I did ask him to show me where I agreed to

pay for the service beyond the GC, and that's where he just mumbled and then changed the subject, so I suspect they don't have anything solid to show me.