A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Xenon Headlight Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Headlight Problems???

Twice now I have gotten an alert popping up to the effect of "right dipped headlight out"

I have solved the problem by turning the lights to off (I always leave them on the "auto" setting) and then back on and it works again.

The second time I had this problem the headlight worked for maybe two minutes of driving, then flickered and went out. The on/off solution worked to correct it.

I plan on getting it in to the dealer and asking them to fix it under warranty.

Any advice or experience with this problem?

This is now the third electrical type failure I've had with this car, I'm getting nervous for the expiration of the warranty....

Thanks

Jim
Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Flickering issue is related to a dying ballast, common problem. Right ballast was replaced.

Problem with the ballast going out after a while, if you can't duplicate the issue in front of them. I had this same problem and when the right bulb went "out", I drove to the dealership, left the car on and got the service adviser out so he could see it, then turned off/on the lights then it came back on.

I also had the entire right headlight unit replaced not too long ago because the right side decided to stop moving but it didn't throw any codes which was odd.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Flickering issue is related to a dying ballast, common problem. Right ballast was replaced.

Exact same problem here in Calif. Except the left side. I've even extended my trip to the shop by doing the same on-off-on trick. Seems to work for the time being. Just kind of embarrassing to have a $40K car driving around with only 1 headlight.

I've read somewhere that this is a warranty issue and even a recall. The dealer should fix it.

I'll let you know. Whenever I can get an appt at Stevens Creek. Their service sucks.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I asked the dealer here about any recall number

They looked it up and nothing was for an early 06 model (or an 05.5 model in the US). Left is starting to do the same. It seems that when it's cold, it only flickers when I'm starting to move from a dead stop, the right one did the same thing until it got worse.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I asked the dealer here about any recall number

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I am amazed the dealer would think you want to waste your valuable time to drive there with a car that actually had working headlights, then lose the car for the day while they fix your "made up" problem. I certainly hope I don't have to resort to proving it to the dealer when one of the headlights is out.

If you find out a recall number or any other information that might be helpful with my dealer, please let me know.

Thanks

Jim
Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's no fault of the dealer

It's AOA policy that the dealer needs to see the problem for themselves. Previously, I think the dealer wouldn't question you about it and take care of it as soon as possible.

I gave AOA pretty candid feedback about this when they called me on how the service was.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Thanks for the ballast tip, I'll try that next time I take mine in

06 avant, tech pckg, get right dipped headlight every single day. Normally within a minute of driving. Flickers/Flashes, then goes out. Switch from Auto to Off then back and it works again. Normally I have to do this 2-3 times and then it stops doing it. Very strange.

There's apparently a service bulletin about this, with two different dealers applying a firmware upgrade, but that doesn't fix it.