A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

15k service really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k service really necessary?

My 09' A4 is coming up on 15k so I called the dealer for a quote on what the cost is and they told me 400 something. My question is, is this worth it?....I looked at what a 15k service entailed and I basically came to the conclusion that it is just and oil change and then they check some things out...So they charge and extra 300 something to check the brake and coolant levels and other stuff... This does not seem like it is worth the money... I can pop the hood and check the brake and coolant levels, and if they are low than I will go to a local german car shop and have them top it off for a lot less than 300 bucks... Any thoughts on if this is really necessary...

Last edited by takethetest; 05-06-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

and air filter, but thats a lot! maybe you can just go in for an oil change buy the air filter for ecs or something, or try to find a mechanic that works on vw audi or german cars. if cant do it yourself that is.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yea.. getting an oil change and an air filter is exactly what I was planning on doing... Below is what the 15k service includes beside the basic oil change... They want 300 extra bucks for all this crap...really pisses me off

__ Cooling System – check level, add if necessary
__ Exhaust System – check for damage, leaks - (BULL****)
__ Engine On Board Diagnostics – check fault memory (A3, A4 Cabriolet, S4, A6, S6, A8, S8 only)
__ Engine Compartment – check for leaks (BULL****)
__ Battery – check and replace if necessary (BULL****)
__ Dust and Pollen Filter – replace
__ Automatic Transmission and Final Drive – check for leaks (BULL****)
__ Front Axle – check for excessive play, check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends (A3, A4 Cabriolet, S4, A6, S6, A8, S8 only)
__ Lights – check all lights, check headlight adjustment (A8, S8 only) (BULL****)
__ Drive Shaft Boots – check (BULL****)
__ Air Cleaner – clean housing, replace filter element (55K only: except Audi Q7 4.2L, A8 6.0L)
__ Snow Screen for Air Cleaner – clean (A4, A5, S5 and A6 only)
__ Underbody – check for damage and leaks (BULL****)
__ Road Test – check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, ASL Automatic Shift Lock and power accessories (BULL****/ NOT NECESSARY)
__ Horn – check function (MAJOR BULL****)
__ Plenum Panel – clean if dirty (except A3, Audi Q5)

Last edited by takethetest; 05-06-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 15k service really necessary?

Originally Posted by takethetest
yea.. getting an oil change and an air filter is exactly what I was planning on doing... Below is what the 15k service includes beside the basic oil change... They want 300 extra bucks for all this crap...really pisses me off
Man, I can smell it from here .
Old 05-06-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Man, I can smell it from here .
This could be smelled from the other side of the world.

I still remember a service episode for my Passat many years ago at the dealer. Instead the 15K or whatever service it was, I just ask them to change the oil and rotate the tires. When I asked the service writer to stamp the book, she said but you didn't have these items checked. The first was the auto shift lock. I told her my car was a manual She eventually reluctantly stamped it with a note saying x & y weren't checked.

When you take your car to any respectable independent for an oil change and tire rotation, as part of the normal service, they also check underneath the car for problems and check all fluids, and they top of the fluids for free if it is a tiny amount.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer quoted $360, still a major rip-off.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
When I asked the service writer to stamp the book, she said but you didn't have these items checked. The first was the auto shift lock. I told her my car was a manual She eventually reluctantly stamped it with a note saying x & y weren't checked.
I have yet to have any service writer stamp the books in any of the cars I have owned. The exception is likely my '87, the PO took it to a dealer that actually did it regularly.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Getting Audi Care included in the deal is apparently not uncommon. I am definitely going to have it thrown in before I buy!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
I have yet to have any service writer stamp the books in any of the cars I have owned.
I did mostly because a VW rep on vwvortex was recommending it at the time to make things easier in case I ever had to make a warranty claim. In the early 2000s, VW had a bad reputation with warranty claims. I don't know whether that reputation was deserved or not, but given the general dissatisfaction with VW service, I went along with it. After the warranty expired, I used a dealer only once to diagnose and replace a couple of bad engine sensors. For everything else, I have used a good indy and I probably saved thousands of dollars during the time my car went from 65Kmiles to 185Kmiles.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jpinwdc
Getting Audi Care included in the deal is apparently not uncommon. I am definitely going to have it thrown in before I buy!
I am curious. What happens if you decide to sell the car early? Is it transferable? How about, god forbid, your car is wrecked? What happens to Audicare? Do you get a prorated reimbursement or is it just a case of "tough luck?"

Quick Reply: 15k service really necessary?