A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

18" sport package ride comfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default 18" sport package ride comfort

I apologize if I've asked this question before, but could somebody who has a car with the 18" wheel sport package tell me what the ride is like. I drove a car with the 19" sport package and it was way too firm, imho.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a dealership with any 18" sport package cars for me to test drive. My other option is to go with a Prestige car, but then I'd lose the sport seats and paddle shifters.

Therefore, I'm inclined to get the 18" sport package, however, I'm a little concerned about buying the car without actually test-driving one similarly equipped.

PS: No offense to anyone here, but I'd like to hear from some people over 30 -- you young'uns can tolerate pain better! ;-P
Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm well past 30 and after driving both std and 18" sport, I bought the 18" sport -- granted the wheel design, seats, and steering wheel did influence my decision as well, I really didn't like the std Prem+ wheels.

The sport pkg handling was noticeably better, at the cost of a bit of ride comfort and perhaps a bit more tire noise (comparing this to the prem that I drove back-back but it has narrower tires than the P+ -- P+ std and sport are same tread width). I wouldn't describe the ride quality as harsh, pavement seams etc are fine, you do feel them, but that's what I'd expect from a "sport sedan". The std premium model I drove just felt too floaty for my tastes.

YMMV.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the 19 incher sports pack is too firm but was the standard suspension too soft? If the standard suspension is a "1" for firmness and the 19 incher is a "5", then the 18 inch setup is probably a "4".

My impression is that even the 18 inch sports suspension would be too rough for you. But it really tightens up the handling. I ordered my car without ever driving the SP as I don't care for the stock springs at all.

OTOH, the sports seats are not aggressive enough for me and may not be as comfy as the standard seats.

What you might consider is a manually equipped car, which would negate the need for the flippers and just go with the standard suspension. Wish I could have gotten a manual.

BTW, I'm way above 30 but I'm not your usual geriatric Audi nut hugger.

Happy Huntin'
Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

After 13 straight years of driving a manual, it's time for an automatic. I mean, it was fun while it lasted, but I want to get a tiptronic now. But, with the paddle shifters, I can still engage in a little spirited driviing, if the spirit moves me.

By the way, I didn't say the standard suspension was too soft for me. In fact, it feels just right -- pretty close to my '02's sports suspension. But my '02 has 17" rims.

I'm pretty sure I would do OK with the 18" sports package in a Premium Plus car, but I sure would like to test drive one first. But no dealer in my area has such a car.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My previous '06 A4 had the SP with the 17's and I think that the new SP might be a tad more compliant on rough surfaces. I also believe that the new A4 may have a little less roll in the corners and that's a good thing.

BTW, it was a question that I proposed about the standard suspension being too soft... it's just that the 18's with the SP aren't going to be much gentler than the 19's on your ischial tuberosities.

But you want the seats and the flippers, then you are going to have to go for it and order the sports package. Frequently life is about compromise. I'm sucking it up and putting up with my first auto tranny as the Avant is for kayak hauling. Luckily then new engine / slush box combo is much improved from the previous gens.

Let me be your enabler . Now just go on and order that sports pack. It'll make those twisty bits of tarmac so much more fun.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

a4driver, where are you located? maybe a member can let you test their sport package B8. you should try it out first before buying because you feel every piece of road with sport suspension. the sport seats make the experience more uncomfortable because the seats have very little padding.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default I have the 19". . .

. . .and I am 57 years old.

The 19" sport package + ADS is what I have.

I drive typically in Individual mode set to Suspension = Auto; when I make it to the Interstate I set it to Comfort.

There is nothing about this set up that seems harsh -- in dynamic mode it does graduate to super stiff, but it is NOT THAT big of a deal.

I am 190 pounds and a hair under 6 ft -- I find nuttin' but comfort, but I actually attribute that to the sport seats which seem to absorb lots of the "more stiff" ride of the sport optioned A4.

I assume the only difference between the 18 and 19 inch SP is the tires and wheels -- and the tires are 40 series and 35 series: i.e., both have very stiff sidewalls.

Perhaps the ADS is the key here -- beats me, since that is the way mine is equipped. The 19" package makes the car handle nicely -- I wouldn't have anything less.

Drive it like YOU live, tho, not how I live!

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I live in Western Massachusetts.
.I did post in the New England forum looking for somebody w/the 18" sports package.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
MML
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have driven the A4 with the SP in a couple of different cars, I didn't find

that the 18" wheels were that harsh at all. I am over 40 as well. I did drive the 19" wheels as well, I think you can tell the difference between the 2. I prefer the 18" wheel SP. The 19" was pushing it for me a little on the crap roads in Norcal... I personally wouldn't buy the base suspension car.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default So....

...how compliant is the suspension in comfort mode with the 19" combo? I'm contemplating a S-line avant with ADS and am a little worried about the bomb crater roads in DC - although my commute takes me through areas where 22 spinnerz or Toyotas are the norm...