A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2.0's disadvantages?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I was expecting my 2.0T to have an oil pump to cool the turbo like I had on my Mrk I Audi TT.

I take it they don't even have these any more?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamC
What year and model did you have?
i had a 2007 bmw 355i, even though the bmw has a lot more hp, i still like the a4 more. the design is so much advance and better than the 3 series. handling is better on the a4 too.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by AZ-A4ber
i had a 2007 bmw 355i, .
BMW has a 355i?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transversely mounted 2.0Ts have an afterrun pump.

The transversely mounted 2.0Ts (in the A3 and TT) have an afterrun pump to help cool off the turbo. It will run for a few seconds after you shut the ignition off. There is no need to "cool it down" manually. The transverse engines do need this feature because, given the location of the turbo, it can tend to get a bit heatsoaked with reduced airflow to it.

Longitudinally mounted 2.0Ts in the A4 do not have this feature because they simply don't need them.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

All new Audis use synthetic oil now, so its no different than any other motor.

The cool down period is only if you run it hard before getting to your destination (WOT, etc). If you take it easy for the last couple of minutes before you get to where you're going, no need to really let it sit and cool.

The new 2.0T is quite smooth. Even my 1.8T is buttery smooth, can't feel a single vibration in the cabin.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm kind of having the same discussion....

Originally Posted by A4Driver
OK, I've read tons of praise about the 2.0 engine on these boards, and I'm sure most of it is justified. But what about the not-so-good news? I can think of a couple of things that would make me think twice about getting the four. These include:

1) The need to use more expensive synthetic oil.
2) The need to let the engine cool down before shutting it off.
3) The often talked about relative roughness of the engine (compared to the 3.2)

Speaking specifically about issues 1 and 2, how much of a concern should these be to me? I'm still shopping for a new car and am having trouble deciding between an A4 2.0 or a BMW 328i xdrive. In fact, if I think about it any more my head is going to explode!
...but the A4 just seems to have much more value for the money. The interior is far nicer on the A4 and the rear seat has much more room. While exterior design is very personal, the 3 series has grown on me (probably because it has been around in the current shape for a few years) and the B8 still looks a bit "odd" to me (but then again, so did my MKV R32 when I bought it) compared to the older A4 designs.

I'd have to disagree that the A4 handles better. From my (rather extensive)testing of both the 328ix and the A4 2.0 (and my experience with the 2.0 in my '06 GTI) I'd have to say that the BMW handles "sharper" than the A4. Adding ADS or a sport package to the A4 brings them closer but the slightly smaller size of the 3 gives it the handling nod with the A4 base suspension.

Every modern engine requires synthetic oil and the cost difference is really minimal.

I've had about 3 years of experience comparing the 2.0 and the 3.2 engines in my GTI and R32 and would offer the following observations:

The 3.2 is clearly thirstier around town. The 3.2 gets decent mpgs on the highway, but the 2.0 can be nudged to 30+ mpg if you set the cruise to 5mph over the speed limit.

The 2.0 seems "livelier" - especially around town - but the 3.2 seems more refined with a smoother powerband.

The 3.2 sounds so much better than the 2.0 The 2.0 sounds a bit noisy for the first few seconds after start up, but then is quite nice - it just doesn't have that refined burble of the 3.2

Both engines have their advantages and you can't go wrong with either. I started looking at Audi again when I realized that I really needed a 4 door (which my R32 didn't have) so I looked at A3s - but couldn't find a A3 2.0 quattro locally.

Pricing - the 3.2 costs about $3k more - is the extra "burble" worth it? Only you can make that decision.

Getting back to 328 vs A4.

The A4 (prestige, nav) is roughly the same price as a 328i xdrive with premium, cold weather and nav.

The BMW nav is a disaster to navigate and doesn't come with the camera.

The A4 (with the prestige package) comes with a sound system that blows the BMW logic 7 out of the water. Side assist is unavailable on the BMW and parking sensors are a $750 option (although they do come with front sensors on the BMW)

I really wanted a change from the VAG products, but the A4 keeps pulling me back.

Oh, did I mention that the interior on the A4 is nicer?...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A4 3.2 is actually a totally different engine design than the transverse VR6 3.2.

But, other than that, I agree with everything you wrote.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm new to turbos and the 2.0T but on my B8, depending on how hard I've driven it and probably other conditions, after I shut off the car I sometimes hear a loud fan running to most likely cool the engine. Also, there's a reservoir for engine coolant? right next to the engine which I read in another thread is similar to what is used on the TT to cool the turbo down.

Not sure if I'm way off but it seems the 2.0T in the B8 doesn't need any cooling since it can do it itself.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HD2DMAX
BMW has a 355i?
Yes. It's 20 better than the 335i.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CEB
the 2.0 can be nudged to 30+ mpg if you set the cruise to 5mph over the speed limit.
On purely highway driving yesterday I was getting around 40mpg average per the trip computer. Crazy! 40!!!

Quick Reply: 2.0's disadvantages?