A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2.0t oil consumption question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 A5 2.0T and just had my 15000 mile service done, where they put in 5 quarts of oil. The oil indicator when I got my car back was "full"

About 1750 miles later (about 10 weeks) my oil warning light was on and the indicator shows it empty.

This works out to 350 miles per quart!

A similar thing happened after my 5000 mile oil change as well- low oil level just weeks after that oil change. But after topping off, I was basically fine over the next 10000 miles (maybe needing only one more topoff in that time).

Is this normal behavior? I would think if there was excessive oil consumption, I would be continually adding oil every 3 months - which hasn't happened. Every time they change my oil, my car seems to burn off all the oil in weeks. Is this something to get checked out?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow ... maybe mine is the oddball?

A4 2010 2.0TFSI Quattro, 25000 miles driven, and haven't added any oil between changes yet. Changed oil at 5k, 10k and 20k, and oil indicator only went down 1 step (maybe to 80-90% of the range) at most. Still hasn't moved since my 20k oil change, still says full.

I did buy a dipstick from ECS tuning to verify readings, and they are correct.

I did exactly as the manual said about the driving in period. Basically never took the car above 4000 rpm for the first 2k miles or something like that.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get the add 1qt warning about every 5k miles, so I guess I am doing better than others. My first warning that it was normal to burn oil was that Audi covered every part of the engine in plastic, except the oil filler cap. I don't know if it consumes oil because of heat or if it is blow by due to the forced induction, or a bit of both, but like others said, unless you are burning drastically more oil than is normal, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0.5 Qt of oil for the first 2k miles, 0.25 Qt of oil for the next 5k miles. So I had to add not even a full qt of oil for my car since Oct 2009 (7500 miles total).

Go easy with the car during first 2000 miles. Your engine shouldn't be burning that much oil.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zub3qin
No, 1750 miles per quart. The manual says that's normal.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zub3qin
About 1750 miles later (about 10 weeks) my oil warning light was on and the indicator shows it empty.

The MMI indicator from top to bottom of the display is one liter of oil. That is less than 2 ounces more than a quart. Most oil sold in the USA is packaged in one quart bottles.

Audi does not want to pay for engine repairs or replacements so they will only do a warranty paid oil consumption test every 25,000 miles. The way this is done is by removing the oil and weighing it on a scale. They then put the oil back in and send you out to drive 600 to 1000 miles. They take out the oil again and weigh it. If consumption is more than 1 liter in 1200 miles they will remove the head and inspect the cylinder bores. If the bores are bad, they will replace the motor with a reman unit. (This is rare.) More than likely they will replace just the pistons and rings.

The pistons and rings are properly engineered, and specified. The problem has been with the material supplied to the ring maker. Some is fine, and some is destined to consume oil.

Audi uses old technology to finish the cylinder walls in the block. The motor is assembled with high peaks on cross-hatching. Audi requires the owner to finish the machining during the break-in period of 5000 miles. This takes the sharp v shaped peaks down to a flat top like the planar honed cylinders of other makers. The flat portion of the v is what allows proper sealing of the rings, yet allows the oil to cling to the walls in the valleys below the flat top.

Audi depends on the chips cut from the walls during the green run to circulate and act as an abrasive to finish and polish the surfaces inside the engine. This is why you should resist the temptation to change the oil prior to the 5,000 mile service. If you take out the abrasive, the engine may never seal, and be a high consumer of oil.

It sometimes take a long time to finish the job because changing large numbers of pistons and rings has caused a shortage of the stretch bolts necessary to reattach the cylinder head. Hopefully your dealer will not pinch pennies and try to get you to accept a Kia loaner car.

Last edited by Moviela; 05-22-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Our 2011 has ~6000 miles. Recently had the 5k service. To date has not used one drop of oil. MMI has shown no drop, and yes I have a dipstick and it confirms no drop in oil level since new. We'll see if it holds.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
The MMI indicator from top to bottom of the display is one liter of oil. That is less than 2 ounces more than a quart. Most oil sold in the USA is packaged in one quart bottles.

Audi does not want to pay for engine repairs or replacements so they will only do a warranty paid oil consumption test every 25,000 miles. The way this is done is by removing the oil and weighing it on a scale. They then put the oil back in and send you out to drive 600 to 1000 miles. They take out the oil again and weigh it. If consumption is more than 1 liter in 1200 miles they will remove the head and inspect the cylinder bores. If the bores are bad, they will replace the motor with a reman unit. (This is rare.) More than likely they will replace just the pistons and rings.

The pistons and rings are properly engineered, and specified. The problem has been with the material supplied to the ring maker. Some is fine, and some is destined to consume oil.

Audi uses old technology to finish the cylinder walls in the block. The motor is assembled with high peaks on cross-hatching. Audi requires the owner to finish the machining during the break-in period of 5000 miles. This takes the sharp v shaped peaks down to a flat top like the planar honed cylinders of other makers. The flat portion of the v is what allows proper sealing of the rings, yet allows the oil to cling to the walls in the valleys below the flat top.

Audi depends on the chips cut from the walls during the green run to circulate and act as an abrasive to finish and polish the surfaces inside the engine. This is why you should resist the temptation to change the oil prior to the 5,000 mile service. If you take out the abrasive, the engine may never seal, and be a high consumer of oil.

It sometimes take a long time to finish the job because changing large numbers of pistons and rings has caused a shortage of the stretch bolts necessary to reattach the cylinder head. Hopefully your dealer will not pinch pennies and try to get you to accept a Kia loaner car.
So what do you suggest? Should I ask for an oil consumption test, or is my experience typical (ie oil indicator light on 5 weeks/1750 miles after 15,000 mile service)? I was unaware that low oil light came on after only 1 quart was used.... I thought if it took 5 quarts to fill, the light came on after around 4 quarts or more was used up....
Old 05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wish we had stickies for threads like this since it's been covered umpteen times since the 2.0T B8 platform arrived.

It's normal to an extent. Keep track of your usage and if it seems excessive take it in. /Thread.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you happen to remember the part number for the dip stick that fits the A4? I have looked for it at ECS but could not locate it.... Thanks

Quick Reply: 2.0t oil consumption question?