A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 245/45 17" Tire recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 245/45 17" Tire recommendation

Hi gang, I have been searching but this subject is so broad it is hard to get a solid recommendation for the A4 and desires I have.

I am not into bling or driving hard and am conservative in my needs here. I am more interested in lack of road noise. Western Canada so need a decent all-season that will last more than the crappy Good Years I had on the car.

Picked up a screw and had that one slashed coincidentally, only 32K KMs (20K miles) on them.

Any ideas out there?

Cheers, Bruce
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

there's a long thread on here about Continental DWS. That sounds like it would meet your needs.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Sir, I did some other hunting last night and that was the product I was seeing was nicely rated and reviewed for my needs. I think I will go that route and will leave some thoughts on this thread in the future.

Cheers.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by barvic
Thanks Sir, I did some other hunting last night and that was the product I was seeing was nicely rated and reviewed for my needs. I think I will go that route and will leave some thoughts on this thread in the future.

Cheers.
You may have already found my extensive review on the DWS. One year and 15K miles later and I still like them very much. Lots of wear left.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2791455
Old 12-11-2011, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well folks, I took the recommendation for the Conti's on the above thread and I am VERY happy with these tires. Now have about 300 Miles on them and they are so much more quiet the the LS2s I had before.

Initially, over road bumps noticeably softer impact the the LS2s. Right away I noticed the noise and impacts from the tires were more like a high-density foam than a cardboard... if you can 'hear' this comparison. Over bridge decks much lower whir than the higher-pitched whine of the Good Years. This has indeed improved over the 300 miles and today you could not hear the tires over the climate control.

All vibrations and pulling has ceased up to 75mph where I get a very minor I believe balancing vibe. I will wait a bit before having anything rebalanced and we hardly can hit 75MPH here on Vancouver Island anyways always in fear of tickets if you venture that high. The lack of vibrations remind me of the two independent weeks I spent in rental 2011 Ford Edges in Ontario and Quebec last two months that totally showed my Audi up in highway driving experiences.

Twice I have noticed an interesting occurrence. Both times I drove highway speeds for 20+ minutes then parked for 3+ hours at virtually freezing temps. Upon driving again very much flat-spot bumping at low speeds all the way through 60MPH. This does dissipate and go away within 5 miles. It is almost like the highway heats the tires up making them softer and more pliable to get shock-cooled sitting still. Any other thoughts on this?
Cheers!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well folks, I took the recommendation for the Conti's on the above thread and I am VERY happy with these tires. Now have about 300 Miles on them and they are so much more quiet the the LS2s I had before.

Initially, over road bumps noticeably softer impact the the LS2s. Right away I noticed the noise and impacts from the tires were more like a high-density foam than a cardboard... if you can 'hear' this comparison. Over bridge decks much lower whir than the higher-pitched whine of the Good Years. This has indeed improved over the 300 miles and today you could not hear the tires over the climate control.
New tires syndrome. A year from now they won't be as quiet and cushy. Still good tires for the price though.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Twice I have noticed an interesting occurrence. Both times I drove highway speeds for 20+ minutes then parked for 3+ hours at virtually freezing temps. Upon driving again very much flat-spot bumping at low speeds all the way through 60MPH. This does dissipate and go away within 5 miles. It is almost like the highway heats the tires up making them softer and more pliable to get shock-cooled sitting still. Any other thoughts on this?
Cheers!
Typical for steel-belted tires; all of them will exhibit this to one degree or another depending on how long the car sits and the outside temperature. As the belts warm up from flexing while driving, the flat-spotting goes away. I suspect the rubber softens as well. The Conti's are no different.