A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 A4 2.0 TPMS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: the service manager called me back on Sat 3/19 -- today, 3/23, they brought a loaner out to my house and drove my A4 back to the dealer. The service writer called to say they had the car back and were working on it but had no further info or diagnosis or prognosis. Audi Customer Care also called -- the woman was pleasant but offered truly very little in the way of help. I will give them a day or 2 with the car and see what happens -- at this point, though, they have said they are stumped.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

3/24 update -- I will give the dealer points -- I just rec'd a call from the service advisor saying they are "waist deep" in pulling/providing data to the Audi Tech folks. Clearly, they have no further idea of what's wrong or what part or parts need to be replaced (from the dealer's vantage point). Hopefully, whatever data gets downloaded and sent to Audi from my car's VCDS will allow an accurate diagnosis/repair procedure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but at this point, there is still no answer a day and a half after the car's been there.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update 3/26 -- the dealer gets more points here -- they not only brought me out a loaded Q7 to drive for the week, but they are also delivering my A4 back to me tomorrow, clean and with a full tank. They have had the car "repaired" for at least a full day now; Audi's tech support had them run a multitude of tests, including having them switch wheels/tires with another new A4. They put approx 15 hours of work into it before Audi came back to say the dealer needed to replace the RF TPMS wheel sensor!

Both the service manager and I were aghast that it took them this amount of time/work to come to this solution. Quite honestly, neither one of us understands this -- but since this was done, the TPMS light has stayed off and they've driven it the past day+ with no problems. They are planning to put a few more miles on it in the morning, then presuming all is still OK, they will bring it to my house and pick up the Q7 loaner.

I'm in the Chicago area, so if anyone wants to know the dealer, PM me -- I honestly can't say they didn't do everything they could to make this painless for me -- I've got some very good things to say about their follow up and the way they've treated me. Very professional and very good customer service. I will report this to Audi's Customer Care line as well.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome, good news. Glad to hear things are working out so far!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any aftermarket electronics like radar detectors ,amplifier .etc,?I had a TMPS malfunction in my A6 that the dealer "claims" was caused by my aftermarket amplifier.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No aftermarket or other electronics

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the note -- I was actually thinking it was my cell phone causing the problem, then thought that there was no way that could be the case.

As it turns out, I got my car back yesterday -- the dealer was great in this whole thing, they brought my car out to my house and picked up the Q7 they gave me for the week.

The service manager said they had about 15 hours of diagnostics/road testing/etc into the car, all at the direction of Audi's tech center. I don't have time to scan the repair order but essentially, they did all sorts of tests, including taking the wheels/tires off a new/good A4 and then drove my car while collecting data from VCDS -- then sent all of this to Audi.

What they came down to? Ultimately they ended up replacing 2 more sensors. It ticked off the service mgr (and me) -- simple fact that they could have replaced all 4 sensors in about 20 minutes and had things corrected. Evidently, Audi frowns on this kind of "blanket diagnosis/fix" and would rather reimburse the dealer for nearly 2 full days of tech time instead of just an hour or so of replacing sensors, setting up and road testing!

I have driven the car all day today and so far, all is fine. But, just a warning to anyone else out there -- if you have this problem, it's likely a wheel sensor (or possibly the control module up under by the glove compartment). Much easier/faster to replace em all and then see what happens.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default My TPMS is not working properly after all new sensors.

I had a tire store replace my sensors and TPMS is still coming on. They said it's cause I need some front end parts replaced.. My husband and I both mechanic and think that's BS but the parts are ordered and after we put them on we will go back and have the tire store program the sensors again. These TPMS are a pain when not working properly.

Last edited by uberwgn; 05-31-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

What front end parts? The TPMS system is nothing more than the four wheel sensors, the antenna in the right rear, and the control module.

Always easier to know what's really what with electrical in an Audi with a full scan log, so the actual reason for dummy lights is known.