A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 A4 Downshifting Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it is worth, I just picked up my B8 and before I did, I made sure the dealership applied all software updates as I had heard there was a newer update for anyone with Audi Drive Select. After picking it up, I had an APR upgrade put on it. I have never had the situation described here. No clunk, no hard downshift, etc. I had read somewhere that this was one of the things that the upgrade resolved, which was the reason I pushed for it.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by a4Happy
For what it is worth, I just picked up my B8 and before I did, I made sure the dealership applied all software updates as I had heard there was a newer update for anyone with Audi Drive Select. After picking it up, I had an APR upgrade put on it. I have never had the situation described here. No clunk, no hard downshift, etc. I had read somewhere that this was one of the things that the upgrade resolved, which was the reason I pushed for it.
Good to know. I always cringe before downshifting from 3rd to 2nd now, wincing for that bump. Glad there is a fix for it. I'll have to mention it to the dealer next time i'm there.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HAWC1506
I just had that problem fixed. At 5000 miles, I went to the dealership for service and they updated a software or something. I still have to bring the car back in for a control arm replacement, but once I get my summary I'll post details.
Can you post details about what the dealer did exactly so that I can tell my dealer when I bring it in?

thx
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got back from my dealer.

There is a TSB for this issue:

TSB# is 2021193/1

they reflashed my transmission and said it could take up to 1,000 miles for problem to completely go away.

Upon leaving the dealership I def noticed it's a lot better.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Trans seems to shift up too soon

I am a new member to this group and I hope you can give me some information before I take my wife's 2010 A4 2.0T back to the dealer who I do not trust yet. Their delivery for the vehicle was less than I would have expected so I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about their service department either.
Her A4 experienced the same poorly timed 1-2 upshift as several others have described but it also seems to shift up too soon and lock the torque converter up way too early. This results in an annoying drone and vibration when driving through town. It acts like if you had a manual transmission and shifted into 5th gear at 20 MPH. As soon as you step on the gas, it shifts down and the drone goes away. I don't know if this is an engine mount problem or a software issue. It seems as the vehicle has learned this bad habit. The 1-2 shift has improved some (the car has about 900 miles on it now) but the drone issue has gotten worse. It didn't do this at first. There is also a distinct surge on acceleration when the torque converter is not locked up. I don't know if these two problems are related or not. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. We spent a lot of time comparing other brands to the Audi before we made the purchase and now we are not too sure we made the right decision.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same complaint, but the downshift and subsequent shift out of gear jerkiness have faded some as I've put a few miles on my '09.

Shifting back into first from a complete stop can still be a bit too slow for my liking..... and why can't they prevent the car from shifting into 3rd or 4th when you take a corner from a dead stop....
Old 12-11-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a 2014 A4 Quattro yesterday (!) and I'm noticing a very rough shift from 2nd to 3rd when i'm coasting and then apply the gas.

Does anybody know if the TSB update will fix the problem for my car as well?
Old 12-17-2016, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSB program update is the place to start. AFAIK, that only helped with downshifting.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's 2013 2.0 does this occasionally, which she hates. She took it to the dealer and they test drove it. Surprisingly, they said they found nothing. I am not sure, but it think it does not occur when driving in sport mode, which my wife never does.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2014 allroad does it as well. First thing in the morning or after the car has been sitting a while, the 1-2 shift is extremely harsh and it surges forward and the rpms go up. Also, the 3-2 downshift is rough and clunky. Less so if I decelerate hard. A gentle stop causes it more often. Stop and go traffic is less than smooth...which stinks because that is all I drive it in. Does anyone know if this TSB applies to 2014, or if there is one that does? I cannot find anything in my research.

EDIT: I haven't found one specific to the 2014 allroad, but I did find one for the 2013. SB-10051751-1107. Search Google for TSB 37-13-84.

Last edited by redbean25; 11-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 A4 Downshifting Question