A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 Audi A4 Prem+ w/ Front trak or Quattro???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Audi A4 Prem+ w/ Front trak or Quattro???

I am currently living in LA and I'm going to purchase an A4 in February and I don't know if I should get the Front trak or the Quattro. I don't really know much about the Front trak so I need some help. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Front trak is CVT only. I had a manual B7 2.0T FrontTrak in LA and it was fine

I am not crazy about the CVT, however. Having said that, given a choice between a FWD/CVT or quattro/Tiptronic, I would opt for the cheaper, more fuel efficient FWD model. The FT version gets 23/30 mpg which is significantly better than the 21/27 rating of the quattro/Tip version.

One thing to keep in mind is that the new 2.0T engine has a lot more torque than before, so a FWD car may have some torque steer issues handling all that power. Also, if you're purchasing, quattro models hold their value better. I guess the only way to know is to wait until the CVT versions are in and test drive one to see if FWD can handle the added power of the 2.0T engine.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Audi A4 Prem+ w/ Front trak or Quattro???

My $0.02

I currently have a 01 Front trak A4 with a manual trans. The 1.8T has enough torque that when performing turning accelerations there is noticeable torque steer and, more troublesome, wheel spin if you are really trying to hustle.

The new generation(s) have done things to improve the torque steer, but the new 2.0T in the A4 has LOTS more torque and they have moved weight off of the front wheels -- both would make the wheelspin more of an issue. Traction control will likely prevent this, but the forward progress will suffer relative to quattro which will be much more likely to be able to put all of the torque to the pavement.

Another major difference is the choice of transmissions. The frontrak is only available with the CVT transmission, while the quattro would have tiptronic automatic or a 6-speed manual.

In the end - you probably need to drive both to see what you like. I've decided I want a AWD or RWD car, but to each his own.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some pros about the FrontTrak-

Greater economy, lower sticker, faster, and lighter = better cornering.
I had a 2003 CVT for four years and there was no torque steer. As others have said, the new model is a lot more powerful. But I find it doubtful Audi would go backward and include new bad habits the old one did not have.
Given the choice today, I'd hit a Frontrak in a heartbeat. In fair-weather L.A., quattro is not really needed.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you want an Auto I'd go Frontrak...

I have a B6 1.8t Frontrak with a 5-speed and I really like it, on the B6 it gets you a larger fuel tank which is always nice. I've driven a B7 with multitronic (CVT) and I liked it a lot it's very peppy and responsive a lot more so then the normal slushbox that is tiptronic. Now if you're going to mod it I wouldn't get a multitronic.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default +1 for use in fair weather L.A. unless you go skiing at Big Bear a lot.

Basing this on paper criteria, as I have not driven a B8 FrontTrak yet.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default AWD in LA

didn't think I needed it after my B7 but even though weather isn't an issue, it feels much more solid and safer during risky last-minute (or not so last minute) maneuvers and is nice when the weather does get bad...but if mileage and economy are your priorities, FrontTrak would be a logical choice in LA, you won't be losing out at all.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Re: 2009 Audi A4 Prem+ w/ Front trak or Quattro???

I don't understand people who buy audi with FWD, personally. AWD is what Audi is known for.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:59 PM

Default Depends on what is expected...

The rear torque bias of the new A4 Quattro makes it a very well balanced chassis into and out of corners. With sport suspension, the Quattro car is going have much better balance than a similar front drive version. However, few drivers toss their cars around hard enough to notice the difference.

I note the new Quattro automatic is a huge improvement over earlier units and would not hessitate to consider the automatic Quattro as a true sport sedan. That said, the manual is going to be a tad quicker and a bit more precise, unless the Drive Select is purchased. The problem with Drive Select is you are now into a $50,000 A4, and for that money I would (at age 60) just get a less optioned out A6. I still have my 1993 WRX for when I feel frisky.

As noted in another reply, do not sell the Front Trac short for everyday driving. Better mileage, superior acceleration and still a throughly enjoyable chassis at 6/10's "sports" driving (Hi April) that constitues most owners performance expectations.

All in all, it depends on what you expect in the way of bang for the buck, handling balance and economy. The Front Track is quicker 0-60 by a good bit and gets much better mileage. IMHO, the Front Track price and its perfectly capible handling make it tough to pony up the mega-bucks for a bells and whistles Quattro A4, especially for everyday driving in LA.

==m==
Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Easy: FWD is more efficient, less expensive, handles better in average conditions, and is faster.

Considering all this, my local SoCal Audi dealer mostly stocks and sells Frontraks.

Quick Reply: 2009 Audi A4 Prem+ w/ Front trak or Quattro???