A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 Audi Allroad - Would it do well in North America?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Audi Allroad - Would it do well in North America?

Because the new Allroad is based on the B8 Audi A4 and not the A6, I thought this was a more appropriate
place for the post. This is a video of the Allroad in action, it looks great and I think it is a shame that we won't
see it in North America, what do you think of the new Allroad?

http://iamaudi.com/2009-audi-allroad/
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I'd rather see more drivetrain variants of A4 sedan

Specifically, I would like to be able to buy a 6MT V6 A4 sedan (hopefully with the 300-hp 3.0T engine found in the 2009 A6). I just don't see much of a market for an A4 allroad here, or Europe for that matter. Since AoA seems intent on only bringing models which are financially viable, I think it's best that in this tough economic climate they forget about bringing over such a niche vehicle.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sizewise, this is probably close to the C5-based model, no?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default See this message from a few weeks ago...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=allroad
Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree. I would much rather see more drivetrain combinations and options than a new avant/allroad model. Give us the european range of diesel and petrol engines/manual/tip/s-tronic. The 3.0T (supercharged) would be a welcome addition to keep me from looking at a 335.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Depends on the price point, depends on whether Audi even tries to market it, and depends on what you mean by "well." The A4 allroad won't sell unless it's in the 30-40k range because it'll attract people who are considering an alternative to the mini-SUVs such as the X3, Q5, and GLK. Thus, for this pricing to be possible, people need to be able to get the alloroad "package" without having to buy a fully loaded car.

As for selling "well," I'll bet that it'll do better than the TT-S. Audi fears that the A4 allroad will compete against the Q5, but doesn't understand that most of the people who would consider the A4 allroad are anti-SUVers, which is a growing market. What Audi does need to worry about are the hard core enthusiasts, especially the C5 allroaders. The perception that most of us have of the A4 allroad is that it's an A4 avant with only window dressing. No air suspension, and I doubt the engine is mounted higher or the control arms are longer. allroaders are a "keep it real" bunch, and so far I'm not convinced that the A4 allroad does that.

Lastly, Audi will only sell the A4 allroad if it markets it properly. The potential is there now that Americans have an open mind to non-SUV options. However, Americans still need some convincing that the SUV makes little sense for most people. Moreover, the mini-SUVs are cute not cool, whereas the B8 avant body is sexy and cool and that's how Audi should market it. Marketing is brainwashing, and Audi never conducts its marketing that way (unlike BMW).

The last comment I'll make is that, if Audi is willing to bring over the A4 allroad, then why not the S4 avant. And for the people who say federalization costs, I call BS because how much different is the S4 avant from the S4 and A4 avant. Audi will not need to invest that much money to make the S4 Avant American. Besides, Audi can sell more S4 avants than TT-S's, and the TT-S is here.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It will do well in North America. Subaru Outbacks are all over New England. A4 allroad is a much needed upscale version.
Please AudiUSA bring it to the US!