A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 A4 Prestige?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We have two Audi dealers in Cincinnati -- they, from my point of view, don't inventory cars. "Why inventory Audi's cars?" Audis are ordred cars, not off the lot cars, not yet, at least.

Now, I have no idea if this is true or not true. Maybe it is a good way to increase profitability by not floor planning many cars. As far as I know, these dealers here in our small city probably have one or two A5's and/or S5's between them. I believe my dealer, the Audi Connection, has more loaner A4's than it has A4's for sale. I have NEVER seen an SLine A4 in stock. I have never seen an A4 with the sport package (either 18 or 19 inch version.) They HAD an '09 3.2 once that I test drove. The ONLY 2.0T A4 I was able to test drive was a low content P+. I ordered mine on faith and test reports. I waited 6 months.

I love my A4 Prestige (and it does have nav).

I have had 29 Audis starting with my first one, ordered in 1977. I have only purchased ONE of them off the lot. The others were all custom ordered.

According to my dealer, they sell about 50 cars per month. They must have about a dozen on the lot that are "new" -- and this includes ALL models, A3 through A8 and the S's, RS's, etc. There is ONE V10 R8 on the showroom floor ($165,000). The ONE time I saw an S6, it seemed to sit on the showroom floor forever. Comment overheard: at this price, people want exactly what they want and a discount won't make someone take a silver car if what they want is black.

I figure Audis are at the price range where folks order them, wait and then drive off with EXACTLY what they want.

An all optioned A4 Prestige that just sits gathering dust makes no sense to me either -- I would not buy off the lot if the car was not EXACTLY what I wanted. Hell, I even tried to PAY MORE for magma red leather in my Ibis white A4 -- of course, after mine came in the Audi Exclusive program was introduced. So, even tho I ordered my A4 with the Beige interior (which is what I wanted given the choices offered at the time), I didn't actually get EXACTLY what I wanted.

Audis, perhaps, are cars to be ordered, not picked off the lot.

Beats me, but it sure seems that way.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the EX has no back seat or even trunk space. Anyway, good car but doesn't have the German feel. The G37 is very nice but is very indistinct in styling (wife doesn't like it). The nav is a rip off compared to a good hand held unit but again wife doesn't want any cords, etc. Besides, have to have the leds. Life is too short not to have the leds. Dealer is trying to sell me on a 09 A6 demo (at a very very good price), but... Thanks again to everyone.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts
Default ordered or inventory

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
We have two Audi dealers in Cincinnati -- they, from my point of view, don't inventory cars. "Why inventory Audi's cars?" Audis are ordred cars, not off the lot cars, not yet, at least.

Now, I have no idea if this is true or not true. Maybe it is a good way to increase profitability by not floor planning many cars. As far as I know, these dealers here in our small city probably have one or two A5's and/or S5's between them. I believe my dealer, the Audi Connection, has more loaner A4's than it has A4's for sale. I have NEVER seen an SLine A4 in stock. I have never seen an A4 with the sport package (either 18 or 19 inch version.) They HAD an '09 3.2 once that I test drove. The ONLY 2.0T A4 I was able to test drive was a low content P+. I ordered mine on faith and test reports. I waited 6 months.

I love my A4 Prestige (and it does have nav).

I have had 29 Audis starting with my first one, ordered in 1977. I have only purchased ONE of them off the lot. The others were all custom ordered.

According to my dealer, they sell about 50 cars per month. They must have about a dozen on the lot that are "new" -- and this includes ALL models, A3 through A8 and the S's, RS's, etc. There is ONE V10 R8 on the showroom floor ($165,000). The ONE time I saw an S6, it seemed to sit on the showroom floor forever. Comment overheard: at this price, people want exactly what they want and a discount won't make someone take a silver car if what they want is black.

I figure Audis are at the price range where folks order them, wait and then drive off with EXACTLY what they want.

An all optioned A4 Prestige that just sits gathering dust makes no sense to me either -- I would not buy off the lot if the car was not EXACTLY what I wanted. Hell, I even tried to PAY MORE for magma red leather in my Ibis white A4 -- of course, after mine came in the Audi Exclusive program was introduced. So, even tho I ordered my A4 with the Beige interior (which is what I wanted given the choices offered at the time), I didn't actually get EXACTLY what I wanted.

Audis, perhaps, are cars to be ordered, not picked off the lot.

Beats me, but it sure seems that way.
i ordered an ibis white '10 a4 prestige sports pkg. and put a deposit up. but, i bought a '09 s-line, prestige, because i got to take advantage of the audi-owner discount($1500). i ended up with a "misano red car", but after owning it for a couple of weeks, i like the color. now, i was not going to experience many of the options that i have on my current car, but i really like all of them(side assist, window shades, etc) and i saved a ton of money. california must be different than some of the eastern states.
i am not so sure about dealers loading up with strippers, at the two dealers that i have dealt with both currently and in the past, they seem to inventory many models.
don c.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm trying to get a 2010 2.0Tq Prestige + S-line w/ driver assist. All the dealers in the DC area basically shake their head and tell me there's no way they'll get a car like that on the lot anytime, and that it'd have to be ordered.
This is what I expected, but I just wanted to reaffirm markcincinatti's observation.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it must depend on what part of the country you're in and also the individual dealer. I bought my 09 Premium with sports package off the lot in February. They had about a dozen new A4s in a good assortment of Prestige, Premium+ (the most common) and a few Premium.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the dealer is right about $40K+ A4s being too expensive for that segment. that's a fvckton of money for an otherwise entry-level car (but it is a sweet car no doubt), which is why nobody is buying them like they used to in 2007-08. the A4 cost/benefit ratio is now totally out of whack. prices need to come down... a lot.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dealer's usually take out short-term financing to cover floor-planning costs for their vehicle inventory. Since the financial mess started the normal credit sources for this short-term financing have tightened up dramatically. The government even introduced some lending incentives as part of the TARP package to get lenders to loosen up that dealer financing, but it hasn't worked. Lenders are just being exceedingly conservative.

This lack of floor-planning money means many dealers can't afford to carry as much inventory as they would like. High-volume dealerships with sufficient cash flow or dealer groups with deep pockets can carry more, but many normal dealerships cannot. I would imagine many Audi dealerships fall into this latter category. Hence, little vehicle inventory.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default same in Austin

I too had to order an A4 Prestige, but w/ stick, which made sense sort of. Since then, I've checked their inventory a few times and never seen a Prestige and MAYBE one Premium Plus or whatever the middle package is.

In America, people equate size with $, but personally, I prefer small, lavish spaces over large, spartan ones. The same goes for homes (I guess the term is McMansions) or anything else.

You'd think that Audi, of all manufacturers, the only co. that has successfully sold a $30K+ hatchback in the States, would know better!

Anyway, that was June; this is September, and the car hasn't even hit port yet. No matter.