A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 A4 S-Line Winter Tires Aligment

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 A4 S-Line Winter Tires Aligment

I got a buddy of mine that has trouble with his winter tires. He want twice to the steelership for an alignment and they told him that on that car, the alignment should be done every year. The problem is that when he did the alignment in December, everything was OK, but now, when he drives on dry or wet pavement the noise that comes out of the tires is unbearable. Did anybody have the same problem?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife just took her car in for the 15K service and one of the complaints was the roaring sound coming from her 19" tires which I assumed were worn out. The dealer said that they still had another 10K miles on them but there was nothing he could do about the roaring until the tires were replaced. The aligment was in spec and the tire wear was what he would expect to see on a set of tires with 15K miles on them. Her tires are not winter tires like your but the OEM 255/35/19 Pirelli P-Zero Rosa's. It is pretty sad to drive a near $50K car that sounds like an Army truck on the highway.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NCAudiFan
My wife just took her car in for the 15K service and one of the complaints was the roaring sound coming from her 19" tires which I assumed were worn out. The dealer said that they still had another 10K miles on them but there was nothing he could do about the roaring until the tires were replaced. The aligment was in spec and the tire wear was what he would expect to see on a set of tires with 15K miles on them. Her tires are not winter tires like your but the OEM 255/35/19 Pirelli P-Zero Rosa's. It is pretty sad to drive a near $50K car that sounds like an Army truck on the highway.
I'm experiencing the same situation with the 255/35/19 Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on the A4 S-line. With 18K miles on the tires, the noise and vibration that they generate is unbearable. In addition to a noisy highway ride, they make a loud and annoying pulsating sound at low speeds (<20 mph). During my 15K service, my dealer also told me that the alignment was in spec and the tires were not completely worn, but I was told that they were 'cupped' and that the tires should be rotated at least once every 5K miles to prevent uneven wear. I can't wait to get rid of these tires.

My replacements will be Continental ExtremeContact DWS (which are currently on national back order) and I plan to have an alignment and road force balance done when they are installed. Hopefully the car will drive like new once this is done (or maybe better than new, since the Rosso's were never really quiet tires to begin with). I think I will be more vigilant about frequent tire rotations with the new tires.

Last edited by ryanPA; 02-07-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NCAudiFan
Same thing happened to my friend. Exactly the same tires and exactly the the same thing
Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by genasoft
I got a buddy of mine that has trouble with his winter tires. He want twice to the steelership for an alignment and they told him that on that car, the alignment should be done every year. The problem is that when he did the alignment in December, everything was OK, but now, when he drives on dry or wet pavement the noise that comes out of the tires is unbearable. Did anybody have the same problem?
Does the cart pull straight? if it does, the noise is not alignment related.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm starting to think these cars are prone to cupped tires. 2 of the last 3 sets of tires I've had have been cupped prematurely on the front inner tread block.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default my A4 eats tires

ditto with my P-zero rosa tires. after 26,000km (15,000miles) they are shot and so noisy i could not stand them any longer.
i put on Bridgestone Blizzak WD70 winters on 17" wheels and after 8,000km (5,000 miles) they were starting to get noisy. so i took the car in for an alignment and rotation and the noise level has decreased. i don't know what tires to replace the P-Zeros on the 19 inch rims with but i do need to do it for spring as the Pirellis are toast.
sure didn't count on the car eating tires like this. i live in the flat lands so its not like i am pushing the tires. i can understand a performance tire wearing quickly but the uneven wear of the P-Zeros is pathetic. i also note a big difference between tire pressures in the manual and on the door pillar. i suspect my dealer did not rotate tires at my first service. Audi needs to be on top off this and advising dealers and customers how to manage tires on the A4 for longer life.
2010 A4 2.0 sport/sline
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default wheel bearing

well after a rotation and alignment winter blizzaks seemed to become increasingly noisy. so much so that i suspected a wheel bearing. sure enough right front wheel bearing was defective (36,000 kms). so new wheel bearing and now quiet winter tires. now what tires to replace those worn out summer P-zeros?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by delly
well after a rotation and alignment winter blizzaks seemed to become increasingly noisy. so much so that i suspected a wheel bearing. sure enough right front wheel bearing was defective (36,000 kms). so new wheel bearing and now quiet winter tires. now what tires to replace those worn out summer P-zeros?
I had summer tires that became noisy that people thought I had a bad bearing but since I could tell the noise changed vs road surface I knew it was the tires.
Frankly now I run all seasons (Conti DWS) for summer use - as having ultimate grip is less important in dry summer days vs having a quiet long lasting tire that performs great in wet and light snow days that can hit in spring and fall here in Colorado.