A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 B8 A4 Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quote from Nordic Audi

Here is the information I found on NordicAudi.com

" Teknisk produktinformation Ärendenummer: 2021653/1
Knarrande oljud vid manövrering av kopplingspedal - B8 MLB Frisläppningsdatum: 2009-okt-06

Kundens utsaga / Verkstadens fastställande

När kopplingspedalen manövreras och motorn är avstängd förekommer knarrande oljud från växellådan. I mycket svåra fall beskrivs manövreringen av kopplingspedalen som ojämn och ryckig.

Teknisk bakgrund

När kopplingspedalen manövreras förekommer en relativrörelse vid kontaktställena mellan urtrampningslager och urkopplingsarm. Det rör sig alltså om en glid- och rullrörelse. Det knarrande oljudet orsakas därmed av glidrörelsen.

Serieinförande

- - -

Åtgärd

Möjligheten till en teknisk ändring kontrolleras för tillfället. Om möjligheten finns kommer information om detta att finnas i denna TPI.

Delbyte eller smörjning av kontaktställena fungerar inte som bestående åtgärd, utan leder enbart till upprepade anmärkningar.

Undvik eventuella upprepade reparationer genom att inte göra några reparationsförsök. "

Translated to english it is something like this (a mixture of Google translate and my own corrections):

" Technical product Case No.: 2021653 / 1
Creaking noise when operating the clutch pedal - B8 MLB Release date: 2009-Oct-06

Client's affidavit / workshop setting

When the clutch is operated and the engine is turned off a creaking noise can be heard from the gearbox. In very severe cases, the operation of the clutch is described as uneven and choppy.

Technical Background

When the clutch is operated, there is a relative motion at the contact points between the clutch bearing and the clutch"arm". It is a glide and roll motion. The creaking noise is thereby caused by a sliding movement.

Series Introduction

- - --

Events

The possibility of a technical change is looked into at the moment. If anything can be done information about this will be included in the TPI.

Partly switch or lubrication of the contact points do not work as a permanent measure, but merely only leads to repeated complaints.

Avoid any repeated repairs, do not make any repair attempts. "
Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RPM rise during clutch release

Originally Posted by Raymond
Need a favor from all B8 6MT drivers... just found out today by accident... when IN NEUTRAL and the clutch is released about half way, the idle speed increases (rpm needle jumps about 100-200 rpm). When the clutch is fully depressed or released, idle speed is steady/normal. It is only when it is half-way released that it exhibits this behaviour.

Does your's behave the same way? If so, do you know why it behaves that way? I have driven manual transmission cars all my life (including a 98 A4) but have never encountered this.

Thanks in advanced as usual.
Mine does not do that. Early european B8 3.2 (model year 2008).
Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raymond
Need a favor from all B8 6MT drivers... just found out today by accident... when IN NEUTRAL and the clutch is released about half way, the idle speed increases (rpm needle jumps about 100-200 rpm). When the clutch is fully depressed or released, idle speed is steady/normal. It is only when it is half-way released that it exhibits this behaviour.

Does your's behave the same way? If so, do you know why it behaves that way? I have driven manual transmission cars all my life (including a 98 A4) but have never encountered this.
Mine does nothing in neutral -- but I've noticed if put it in first and never touch the gas pedal and slowly let out on the clutch -- after it starts engaging and the rpm drops very slight (50ish), rpms step up about 100 higher or so.

Not sure if this is just the car trying to hold idle speed, or if it is what you refer to.

Anyone else have "problems" trying to hold say 900 rpm and let the clutch out -- my car seems to want to go to ~1500 some of the time. Notice this in drive through lines -- trying to just inch up but the car seems to want to do a more aggressive launch Not a big deal, you just don't let out on the clutch as much, but I wonder if this rpm step-up is involved somehow-the car and I am compensating at the same time = 2x what is needed.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think you are right. I had to totally rethink how I drive this car. Before I always did push the accelerator some to get the car going, but that doesn't work to smooth on this one. Indstead, you have to rely on the car increasing the rpm's by itself first to get the car moving, and only then push the accelerator. Then it works smooth. Took me appr, 5 months to figure it out though ...
Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hankoman
I think you are right. I had to totally rethink how I drive this car. Before I always did push the accelerator some to get the car going, but that doesn't work to smooth on this one. Indstead, you have to rely on the car increasing the rpm's by itself first to get the car moving, and only then push the accelerator. Then it works smooth. Took me appr, 5 months to figure it out though ...

Yea I know what you mean. The car seems to surge in RPMs when u let out the clutch, probably to prevent it from stalling. No need to give it gas to engage 1st gear, unless maybe if youre on a hill. I've been trying to get used to that. In my old cars, I would stall if I dont gas it up from a stop and let out the clutch.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is turning out to be an interesting discussion... but are we serious here? I am still giving gas like normal when releasing the clutch even though I notice the rpm surge. Will not doing so give the clutch mechanism extra stress and cause premature wear in any way?

And how come some do not behave this way (as one earlier response indicated...)
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm very serious. By not giving gas I'm getting the smoothest take-offs. Mine is a MY 2010 that was bought in september 2009.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I find this very intersting. I've owned manual trans in almost every car since I started driving ... some 17 years ago, and I too was having the worst time figuring out how to drive this car (2010 A4) smoothly. Mine seems to do best if I just gently let out the clutch and then give a little gas once it's completely ingaged. If I gas and then start letting off it's much more jerky, and the engine seems to "pulse" a little in the RPMs. Now this doesn't hold true if I try to "launch it" ... rev it up and hold down the gas as I let out the clutch and it'll fly off the line ... quickly, but smoothly.

I thought was it's just not broken in yet, but it's got 7+k on it and still operates the same as the day I got it. Go figure?!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
wrp
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm very serious. By not giving gas I'm getting the smoothest take-offs. Mine is a MY 2010 that was bought in september 2009.
I tried this a few times and the engine almost stalled. Maybe you release the clutch really slowly? But doing that increases wear on the clutch. Don't forget this is a heavy car for a 2.0 engine, and the turbo doesn't kick in until rpms go up. There's not much torque at 850 rpm idle, unlike a V6.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Noup, I wouldn't say that. I only release the clutch (without touching the gas) so much that the car starts moving, then I give it gas. I release the clutch as fast as I have always done, except that I don't give it gas since it increses rpm by itself.

Quick Reply: 2010 B8 A4 Clutch Question