A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all:
Print Wikipost

2011 A4 CVT Sluggish Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 A4 CVT Sluggish Transmission

So I recently leased my A4 Premium which I love, however during stop and go traffic, the car bucks and hesitates when I very lightly tap the gas to move forward a few feet. I've seen other posts on this site about this issue and had the dealer reset the adaptive transmission. This helped a little, but I've reorted to starting my first 5 minutes of any drive in the "S" mode to reduce the effect, which works well. My question is, does anyone know of an upcoming update to fix this well known issue? It would seem logical that Audi can fix this with a software update to allow the CVT to hold "gear 1 and 2" just a little longer. Also, While the car has excellent torque, is anyone else experiencing an issue with lack of immediate acceleration from a dead stop? The car hesitates for about 1 second before it actually moves. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

The CVT tranny is notorious for the acceleration delay that you described. The dealer gave me an A4 with CVT, once, as a loaner. I took it back the next day as it was just plain dangerous to have such a long delay, imo. They gave me an A8L for the next 3 days until my Avant was ready.

Other than understanding your dilemma, I can offer no suggestions as I neither own an Audi with CVT nor would I consider one.

Best of luck.

Hopefully someone will have some suggestions...
Old 07-11-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does anyone know what I should do... I have the same problem as described. Everyone thinks that I should return the car because they think in 2-4 years Ill be paying double what the cars worth. Thanks in Advance
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kjano
Does anyone know what I should do... I have the same problem as described. Everyone thinks that I should return the car because they think in 2-4 years Ill be paying double what the cars worth. Thanks in Advance
I've heard that Audi has a fix for the Quattro on this same problem that was experienced early on, however, the adaptive control reset worked okay, but still not where it should be. Also, between 5-10 mph it bucks and hiccups (sorry, but there is no better way to describe it). I am considering asking them to take it back so I can get the Quattro with the same equipment. Does anyone know how I would go about filing this grievance with Audi? Do I do it through the dealer, write a letter, call Audi USA, all of the above?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds to me like It's something specific to your car, no to all CVT B8s. My 2011 doesnt exhibit any of the sympthoms you're describing.

Last edited by HX_Guy; 07-12-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HX_Guy
Sounds to me lume It's something specific to your car, no to all CVT B8s. My 2011 doesnt exhibit any of the sympthoms you're describing.
I'm with this guy. My '11 CVT is a little slow off the line as the tranny fully engages -that's something that all us CVT owners experience - but it definitely doesn't buck or hiccup.

Though knowing what I know now, my next Audi will be Quattro end of story. This car has too much motor for FWD.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Though knowing what I know now, my next Audi will be Quattro end of story. This car has too much motor for FWD.
I think it really depends on what you're looking for out of the car.

Driven normally, the transmission and FWD are more than fine. "Normal" people don't mash the throttle where you get wheel spin or torque steer. I drive a little more spirited than the average person (judging by the fact that Im always like 5-6 cars ahead of everyone as I leave a stop light) and it's a non issue for me.

I do find that when I want to make a quick pass, I use the paddle shifters almost every time instead of waiting on the CVT transmission to do it's thing. Much more responsive and feels very quick.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh, I totally agree FWD is great for everyday driving.

I'm a little skewed because our cars over the last 10 years have all been RWD and I developed a very RWD style of driving (mashing it out of curves and corners). That torque steer feeling you get on the FrontTrak totally still takes me by surprise. Honestly I prefer the wife's bimmer for all out sporty driving. It bombs through a curve like you're on rails. But I would never, ever, trade her my Audi for a daily driver
Old 07-12-2011, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I guess what we are trying to say is that the tranny at 0 mph really takes a second if you are casually driving. IF your mashing the pedal or have your car in Sport mode then you have an instant response and hauls ***. But again its so weird that this car has to think to shift from 1 to 2 or whatever the hiccup is... Can Audi fix it or can I have a new quatro (lolz)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kjano
I guess what we are trying to say is that the tranny at 0 mph really takes a second if you are casually driving. IF your mashing the pedal or have your car in Sport mode then you have an instant response and hauls ***. But again its so weird that this car has to think to shift from 1 to 2 or whatever the hiccup is... Can Audi fix it or can I have a new quatro (lolz)
Well with the Quattro you're getting a totally different tranny.

But like I said, slow off the line is normal. But it should NOT hesitate once you're moving.

I read elsewhere that it may take your computer a little time to figure out how you drive and it should improve the tranny response accordingly.

Remember this is a CVT. There are no gears.... the shift points are just the computer faking it to make it feel like a traditional car.

Quick Reply: 2011 A4 CVT Sluggish Transmission