A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2011 Audi A4 Excessive Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Audi A4 Excessive Engine Oil

Hey guys,

I recently noticed my 2011 Audi A4 with excessive engine oil consumption, basically I need to top up my engine oil every month or about 1500km.
Does anyone know what's going on? Is this going to be an issue if I leave it as it is?
Cause for concern?

I appreciate your feedback and response!

Thank you,
Ken
Old 03-01-2022, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Universal issue with the piston rings on the EA888 Gen2 2.0T engines. Numerous threads of many numerous posts on the topic involving any B8 A4/A5/Q5 with the 2.0T.
If you have the issue in the absence of any other problem exhibit or any DTCs (error codes), it's probably rings/pistons.
I'm sure there's threads here on the subject, certainly recently active threads on the subject in the matching forum on audizine, and probably pretty much stuff everywhere about it; it's that big a common problem.
The following users liked this post:
SunshineBuddy (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Well Ken as Smac points out this is certainly well documented and the news is not good. As to your specific question , continually adding oil will not be an issue , just make sure you have it on hand. I got to the point i was adding a quart every 180 miles. When i got around to rebuilding the engine the cats were like brand new and the only issue was the pistons/rings as pointed out.
If i was to be brutally honest with you i would say it is not worth rebuilding this engine if you cant do it yourself and even a replacement engine runs the risk of the same issue.... i would just keep adding oil while looking for another car you can trade this one in on.
The following users liked this post:
SunshineBuddy (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Universal issue with the piston rings on the EA888 Gen2 2.0T engines. Numerous threads of many numerous posts on the topic involving any B8 A4/A5/Q5 with the 2.0T.
If you have the issue in the absence of any other problem exhibit or any DTCs (error codes), it's probably rings/pistons.
I'm sure there's threads here on the subject, certainly recently active threads on the subject in the matching forum on audizine, and probably pretty much stuff everywhere about it; it's that big a common problem.
Thank you for your advice, as long as it doesn't cause any major issues/engine failures then I don't mind paying $10 to refill the engine oil every month
Old 03-02-2022, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
Well Ken as Smac points out this is certainly well documented and the news is not good. As to your specific question , continually adding oil will not be an issue , just make sure you have it on hand. I got to the point i was adding a quart every 180 miles. When i got around to rebuilding the engine the cats were like brand new and the only issue was the pistons/rings as pointed out.
If i was to be brutally honest with you i would say it is not worth rebuilding this engine if you cant do it yourself and even a replacement engine runs the risk of the same issue.... i would just keep adding oil while looking for another car you can trade this one in on.
Thank you for your suggestion, I will take your advice and start looking for a new car, do you know how long this can last before running into issues?
Where's the best place to trade in or get the best value btw? thanks!
Old 03-03-2022, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SunshineBuddy
Thank you for your suggestion, I will take your advice and start looking for a new car, do you know how long this can last before running into issues?
Where's the best place to trade in or get the best value btw? thanks!
We do find generally speaking it is non linerar in nature.. ie it will start consuming more and more oil relatively quickly once it starts. Best place to trade it in would be regional, start shopping it around to see..
Old 03-04-2022, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We do find generally speaking it is non linerar in nature.. ie it will start consuming more and more oil relatively quickly once it starts. Best place to trade it in would be regional, start shopping it around to see..
Thank you for sharing, what is regional by the way, is that a website or?
Old 03-04-2022, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SunshineBuddy
Thank you for sharing, what is regional by the way, is that a website or?

"regional" means it depends on your area ... start visiting places where you want to buy a new car and see what they will give you for yours.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

"regional" means it depends on your area ... start visiting places where you want to buy a new car and see what they will give you for yours.
Thanks for sharing!