A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2011 Audi A4 harsh shifting at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Audi A4 harsh shifting at slow speeds

Hi,

I've lived with this problem for almost a year, and finally decided to do a post on it to see if anybody knows how to help.

I have a 2011 A4 with the 8 speed tiptronic automatic.

Since I bought the car last July, it has had problems shifting at low speeds (like stop and go traffic in the city). Its principal problems are as follows;
1. If essentially coasting at slow speeds (less than 10 mph) when you accelerate the car delays and then jerks to start. This happens about 40% of the time and can be most easily reproduced when the car is going down on a slight recline.
2. Its other major problem is when downshifting as the car slows down, it has difficulty figuring out how to smoothly downshift, and will often jerk or sometimes even "clunk" when it does.

This is the 3rd A4 I have had, so I know how the car should perform.

I have taken the car in 3 times now for this. The first time it was so new the dealer just said I needed to wait as it was just "adapting". The second time they had it for almost a week but still could not fix it. In January, the dealer contacted me and said they had received a software update that should fix the problem. I brought the car in, and frankly although it did not totally fix it, it was better for several months. About 2 months ago the car started experiencing all the same traits as before, and now it might even be worse than before the update.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on, and how I might go about fixing this. Any help would be appreciated. To me, it surely sounds like software, but I can't believe I'm the only person experiencing this.

thanks.

bris
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it's an early 2011, you might want to make sure TSB 2025272/1 has been applied to it. It's a software update that improved the shifting of the 8sp auto.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

I have a 2011 A4 and have had the same problem for almost two years. It has gotten irritating enough that I will mention the issue during my next service. If you search, you may be able to find a fairly long thread from last year on this topic.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have problem #1. Mine is a 2011. I'm going to check on the TSB - thanks for the info.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

2011, same problem. Had a 2012 service loaner recently, same problem.

used to drive a 2006 3.2 A6 Quattro, same issue.

I am beginning to think its related more towards an unfortunate externality of the torsen setup.

The only Quattro audi that didn't do this for me was a Q7, which if I am not mistaken utilizes a non-torsen system???

Has always been annoying in stop and go traffic.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone.

I think the TSB dscline mentioned is the one that was installed in January, but I will check when I take the car back in. I'm tired of this, and they need to fix it. After I monitor this thread for a week or so to see if anybody has any ideas, I'm going to contact Audi NA letting them know they need to fix this. I love my Audi, but this is not right.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

BTW, does anybody know where I can look up the TSBs for my car. It appears ALLData does not have them for 2011 Audi's unless I'm doing something wrong. I don't have a problem paying a few bucks for a subscription so I can figure this out. Thanks. Bob
Old 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar problem at very low speed ( parking lot , etc ) , since the car was new ( End of May 2011 ) .
I did the first service 2 weeks ago , I told about that , and they did some updated to the car transmission software , but I do not know for sure what they did , but now the car drives much better than before , no more esitation or jumping at low speed , stop-and-go , etc .

From the service receipt I can see :

Code 12AUZ06 Recall

Complain 37G1

Completed 37G1

Performed SVM Apdate and Test Drive Adaptation

Maybe this can help
Old 06-10-2012, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey thanks. 37G1 sounds like the most recent campaign. I'm definitely going to have the dealer load this. Does anybody know how to look up the full text of 37G1. I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bris
BTW, does anybody know where I can look up the TSBs for my car. It appears ALLData does not have them for 2011 Audi's unless I'm doing something wrong. I don't have a problem paying a few bucks for a subscription so I can figure this out. Thanks. Bob
Here's one source: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

Quick Reply: 2011 Audi A4 harsh shifting at slow speeds