A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2011 Audi A4 harsh shifting at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

I had TSB 2024812/4 performed due to oil consumption issues and periodic rough starts. The parts replaced in this TSB also seem to have vastly improved the car's smoothness at low speeds. Prior to bringing it in for service, the frequency of harsh downshifts was making it difficult to drive in a normal fashion at speeds below around 20 mph.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm the original post of this thread and it has been a month since I statused this thread. I've driven the car about 800 miles since the TSB was performed and the car is still better than it was before the installation. HOWEVER, it is worse than it was right after the install. For about the first 3 days after the install and long adaptive drive the car was perfect. Absolutely shifted like it should at low speeds. Within a week though it got worse, and has stayed about the same since then. Still much better than before I had the TSB installed, but not perfect by any means.

I kind of agree with jdong... it appears to be a "feature" of the fuel economy system. Boy do they have it wrong though.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One more confirmation that the transmission lurches at low speed does come back after the reflash. In my case, it's still way better than before the reflash, and took about 6k miles from the reflash to come back. It's not quite as obvious now and going smooth on the gas pedal does help. I have switched it to manual mode and have felt the lurch even if the tranny isn't downshifting, in this case remaining in 2nd gear right before stopping.

It is nowhere near as bad as before - I didn't bother mentioning it on my 15k maintenance. I was pretty sure they'd say we did the reflash already and it's normal.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an early 2011 A5 with the 8sp tiptronic. I took it in tonight with the shifting complaint. They said they already performed the TSB in Jan 2011 (it was still on their showroom floor then).

So, 6100 miles on the car, TSB performed, still have the rough downshifting at low speeds. They told me I needed to drive the car more than 6100 miles to get the adaptation to set! Are you kidding me? More than 6100 miles. They think because I have only put 6100 miles on it in two seasons that I don't drive it enough. It sits in the garage all winter. In the summer I drive it on dry days (quite a few this year), to and from work. Same route every day. Forty mile round trip. If it hasn't learned my driving style by now, it never will.

I'm not sure if it was this forum or not, but someone posted that Audi should be smart enough to adjust for a husband and wife driver (I'm the only driver of mine). It may be noteworthy for me to mention that I was told by the Audi service girl today that the adaptation will follow the key (or keypod, whatever the case may be.) I'm going to switch to the one that's never been used and see if there is any difference. Won't know for awhile, they're predicting rain tomorrow and I just washed it tonight.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The dealership solved my problem with this issue

I have had this issue for a little while now with my 2011 A4 avant with 25k on the odometer. My car also had a little hiccup when accelerating between 50-60km/h, I complained about this issue a couple of times before it was solved. The first time, they told me to use only gasoline from Shell or Petro Canada, since other gas stations had inferior gas. I thought that was a cop-out answer. the second time they said they updated the software, but the problem still persisted.

On my third attempt, I took it to another Audi dealership in my city and they sent out the shop foreman to drive my car with me to diagnose the issue. He detected it right away and confirmed there was a problem. They kept my car for a few days trying to diagnose the issue and could not come up with a solution. The ultimate solution was to do a full transmission change. They kept my car to three days to replace the transmission completely. It was a really big job and the service representative explained to me that they essentially had to take the entire bottom off the car. I know that does not sound good and I was not impressed that my car of less than two years required such extensive work. Thankfully it occurred while I am still under the warranty. I had had my car back for about a month now and everything is smooth as can be.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Solutions?

Hi all, I know this is a old thread, but just wondering if there has EVER been a solid solution for this issue? I have a 09 a4 avant 2.0t and it does everything the OP listed out. Bozeman Audi...kinda sucks...so I'm hoping people have a solution for this?
Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2014 allroad does the same thing. Comes and goes though, so I can pretty much guarantee they will tell me that it's fine and all in my head.