A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2012 A4 allroad finally coming to US...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Q5 can tow 4,400lbs; I fail to see the poseur in that. What does the Avant tow? 1,500lbs? The allroad is a great alternative to the crossover, but I suspect we will not see much substitution from Q5.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know about your regulations but here you are allowed to tow up to 2.400kg with the Q5 and 2.100kg with the A4 avant, sedan and allroad.

Altough it does depend on wich engine and gearbox the car have. My 2.0TFSI S tronic is rated at up to 1.900kg, if I had the 3.0TDI it would have been rated up to 2.100kg
Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm confused -other than minor differences in body styling, what's the difference between an A4 Allroad, an A4 Avant with quattro, and a Q3?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a 03 Allroad from 03-07. Deep Burgundy which looked great with the black bumpers and the flared wheel wells. Had modest poser skid plates also.

With the Aluminum highlights the car was sharp as hell.

The Adustable suspension was a hoot. Lower the car all the way the ride got stiff but lots of fun to carve.

It was unique low volume I got lots of compliments. Got a hell of a deal as it was a 6sp manual and it sat on dealer lot.

It was a great car and it gave me little trouble. Leased and turned in at 45k miles.

Regret at times not keeping it but it ate tires at an insatiable rate and "stories" if the suspension repair and turbo out of warranty was scary!

The black cladding I thought looked great and was practical too. NOt really necessary though.

As a former member of the "allroad" club I would not be inclined to hate on it. The flared wells gave the car an aggressive unique stance that made a6 Avants look weak in comparison.

I'd reserve judgement until I can see the A4 allroad in person.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea, maybe I was a bit harsh. There is a silver AR with painted flares that I saw at the MTB trail, think it had a manual trans too. That vehicle was at a decent road height and looked great. It was silver so it hid the trim bits.

Now before we just bought our A4, I cross shopped the 05-09 Legacy GT and Outback, plus the current big pig Outback, as there is no longer a Legacy wagon here in the land of the so called free.
I came this close to a red 2005 Outback turbo with body colored flares and a manual trans. The suspension can easily be modified to get back to proper height for summer, and the tall look for winter. Unfortunately the current OB is just too ugly for my taste. Seriously. Even if lowered, it is just a pig.

I think if the AR comes out with a manual trans, and some non-electronic-leveling-wizard suspension that is easy to modify, this vehicle may have some merit. With modifications. Price will be important.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Stateside - trailer prep is only included on Q5, not A4 (so much lower rating).
A4 allroad will arrive with a 2.0T / 8-speed tiptronic, and a fixed steel suspension (improved ground clearance / wider track / larger wheels) - same suspension setup as offered today in EU-spec A4 allroads.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by der Scherzkeks
Stateside - trailer prep is only included on Q5, not A4 (so much lower rating).
A4 allroad will arrive with a 2.0T / 8-speed tiptronic, and a fixed steel suspension (improved ground clearance / wider track / larger wheels) - same suspension setup as offered today in EU-spec A4 allroads.
2.0T and 8 speed transmission?
If that's true, then the car just became irrelevant to me. This a real opportunity for Audo to offer something special and unique. Special and unique was at one time the shining halmark for the brand. I hope they rethink the positioning of this model.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sundowner
This a real opportunity for Audi to offer something special and unique. I hope they rethink the positioning of this model.
My hunch is that "special and unique" only gets you so far. The old allroad (C5) had a ~10% manual transmission mix. Today, Audi has put forth a goal of being the #1 luxury automaker in the world. You do not get there (if volume is what they're chasing) by going after the niche volume of a niche automobile (manual transmission in a raised wagon).

A manual transmission allroad (or S4 Avant!) would be my cup of tea and would certainly keep the Audi purists loyal.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wouldn't say that the A4 allroad is a niche automobile based on numbers, at least not here in Europe where Audi sells big numbers of them bringing in buyers from Subaru, Volvo XC, SAAB 9-3X, BMW X3 and so on. 9 months ago they allegedly sold more allroads than regular Avants here in Sweden even though they cost a bit more. Much of that come from the fact it was relatively new though and I'm pretty sure the Avant sells more now.

I you do get the allroad I sure hope Audi ships them with the S tronic instead of 8 tip. S tronic is a perfect match for the allroad, fun to drive, great mpg and apparently strong as nails.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

IF Audi does become the "leader" world wide they will be copied as they become the leader.

BMW was or near the top and got there with its controversial "Bangle" style. Everyone hated it but it propelled them to the top. It has been copied (latest generation Camry has "Bangle Butt"). BMW made a huge style statement with "Angel Eyes". Audi has upped it with very obvious "eyelashes"

Some company will trump it.

Audi lost me to BMW because it did not put a manual in its A6. I in turn got another BMW.

This new Avant works because we are fine with an Automatic but It should have a choice.

Its obvious this is a very small slice of the market and they are willing to alienate it. Mercedes didn't even try for many years to put manuals in its cars and still has few offerings. Same with Lexus, infiniti and Acura.

I have not even checked to see if you can order a new 5 series BMW in manual. When I ordered mine the salesman got his manager to talk to me like I was nuts. They said it would hurt resale. I reminded them it was a Lease. When I tried to buy it from BMW they would not negotiate.

Quick Reply: 2012 A4 allroad finally coming to US...