A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2012 A4 allroad finally coming to US...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by der Scherzkeks
The basis of our debate originally centered around manual transmissions. The C63 doesn't offer a manual transmission, yet you offer it up as an example of a good thing. While I agree with you, it also drives my point home further that a manual transmission does not separate cool cars from boring ones.

The allroad is not just a paint and stripe package. It is has no less differentiation than that of a Legacy vs an Outback. The Outback of course was one of Subaru's biggest hits off the rally circuit, and most definitely elevated awareness of the Subaru brand to where it is today. Which, in turn, breathed new life into a dying body-style.

PS - did you know that the Avalanche was available as both a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton? I am too young to remember the other cars you mentioned... (humor)

true the original debate did center around manuals, but we also discussed differentiation between current offerings.

I still see zero significant difference between the proposed A4 allroad and a normal avant aside from the lower body condoms and maybe an extra turn of steel in the coli springs.

And following in subaru's footsteps doesn't strike me as smart. The A4 avant bases at $13,000 more than the Outback. Tack on the prophylactic rubber bits and some tires ****** for her pleasure and Audi will probably bump that price gully another $2,000.

So now Joe Consumer is going to look at the Outback and compare it to a car that's recently been positioned to stack up dead against the Outback, and it costs $15,000 more? This sounds like a really, really bad idea to me.

I will add as a counterpoint that when I checked those prices on the Subaru website, the styling of the outback made me throw up a little in the back of my mouth, so the Allroad has that going for it. A car that doesn't make me get an instant replay taste on my Baconator is worth at least $10k more to me, just in acid reflux meds.

and don't knock my age, boy. I was rockin 8 tracks and shifting 4 gears in my ride while you were eating your lucky charms in front of the TV and wondering why those damn meddling kids with talking dog keep poking about in abandoned amusement parks with Phillis Diller.

Last edited by Sundowner; 01-06-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Allroad please

Guys, Check out proportion of A4 Avants to Sedan in Northern Europe, over 75% wagons depending on how you slice the numbers..and this includes the S-models. In these markets, the Allroad is awsome as it offers 3 different characteristics from the same base model (S, Normal and Allroad). The Allroad is sold at a steep premium and sells like crazy. In fact, in liue of an S (or RS4) Wagon, I'd take an A4 Allroad 3.0TDI in a heartbeat if only Audi America would sell me one!

(I have lived 30 yrs in Sweden, had 4 A4s, last one a B7 S4 Wagon. Dearly missed as I now live on the west side of the Pond, stuck with an array of B8 options i don't want in NY..)
Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think people will buy the Allroad A4. Not in huge numbers, but there is a market for it.

Had it been out when I got my 11 Avant, I might have bought it instead.

The reason I did not buy the Q5 was the lack of sport seating and no Prestige optios for the 2.0T. I'm also not 100% sold on styling of the Q5. Not bad. But the A4 avant is a little sexier, IMO. There's not a better looking wagon on the market than an A4 Avant.

I agree the plastic looks a little cheap and hope there's a 1 color body option.

Should be a sweet looking ride.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got back from a year living in Europe and saw quite a few allroads. Nice looking car in my mind, and a different vibe from the Avant I roll in, but still classy.

The current Outback looks like a barge (I actually thought it was some new Subaru SUV), and the allroad is nowhere near its size and general bulk.

I would have strongly considered one were it available, and would be all over it with the TDI.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Carl E
Guys, Check out proportion of A4 Avants to Sedan in Northern Europe, over 75% wagons depending on how you slice the numbers..and this includes the S-models. In these markets, the Allroad is awsome as it offers 3 different characteristics from the same base model (S, Normal and Allroad). The Allroad is sold at a steep premium and sells like crazy. In fact, in liue of an S (or RS4) Wagon, I'd take an A4 Allroad 3.0TDI in a heartbeat if only Audi America would sell me one!

(I have lived 30 yrs in Sweden, had 4 A4s, last one a B7 S4 Wagon. Dearly missed as I now live on the west side of the Pond, stuck with an array of B8 options i don't want in NY..)
+1. put the 3.0L TDI in it and I might even hold my nose up and live with an automatic.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I plan on buying it... As a diehard Audi fan who lives in Vermont where we have tons of snow and the roads tend not to get plowed the first day of a big storm (always when I'm traveling), this car makes perfect sense if you live in the snow belt!

Some of the storms I got caught driving through to get home were 28" in 24 hrs, and the snow on the road was so high that it scraped the undercarriage a good part of the drive... that little extra height buys a lot with the deep ruts in the snow or mud here...
Besides, with two dogs, and kids in the not too distant future, I'm all about the A4 AllRoad!!!

Besides, the Q5 is for soccer mom's, and doesn't count as a "truck" like some other people posted. The allroad sits high enough to be more useful where I live in the elements, and has a low enough roof line to make it easier to place my skiis and kayak on top than a taller SUV. And the lower center of gravity, and adjustable ride height make this care more stable in corners at speed than SAV's...

I just wish they would sell some this car in a stick for guys that still enjoy a little fun in the snow or back roads... If this car comes to the U.S., I'll be first at the dealer...
Old 04-11-2011, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

touché to the 3.0 TDI!!! That would rock!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm liking the Allroad more and more to be honest. Check out the modified red one and the brown one is different (haven't decided good or bad for now).

Special thanks to Bjorn for taking the time in sending the brown Allroad pics.
Attached Images      
Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Any more pics of modified allroads?

That red one looks great, would love to see some more pics of that one or any other variations
Old 05-23-2011, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ccdj1004
That red one looks great, would love to see some more pics of that one or any other variations
Yes I do:

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/vie...nkode=23125212

Very nice looking Allroad!!!