A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2012 A4 S-Line Clear Bra Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A4 S-Line Clear Bra Install

Just wanted to show off our work on an install we had last week. Such a nice car to work on.
Attached Images     
Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So -- how much does that cost?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Questions:

I see the partial hood treatment and mirrors were done; were full or partial fenders and the bumper done as well? Is this X-pel Ultimate or 3M?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRebbie
So -- how much does that cost?
Looks Great!

I had 3M on my B6 and put it on myself. the kit was $200 (from ebay precut too). I had called a few places and they wanted $4-500 to get it installed.

I wish I would have put it on my 2011
Old 06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How hard is it to put on?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheRebbie
How hard is it to put on?
Should not be too hard. It all depends how good of cut you've got. Different designers have different cuts. I recently had a hell of a time with my VW. The bottom line is get it from a reputable designer don't go for the cheapest it is not always the best.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would desagree. It's not a do it yourself kind of product. Usually installers go for 3-4 days to learn how to do it. You mess something up, that's quite the cost to get another kit to try it again. This was a partial kit, most customers don't want to spend the money on a full frontal coverage because it's about twice the cost. More film, more time to install. This car was 3M Ventureshield. Your "standard" kit is sideview mirrors, partial hood, partial fenders, and full front bumper. In our area in MA/NH, we get $600 for a standard kit. But you can get lots of other options to add like headlights, rear bumper, rockers, a-pillar. You name it, it can be covered. some stuff might not be designed so we have to custom cut it. Same stuff you would put on the front of your phone to protect it. So it's well worth the money when you compare the value to the car.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply! I have a couple of specific questions.

1. Since your signature says, "Installer of 3M Ventureshield and Xpel Film" can you comment on the differences and why one would want one vs. the other?

2. Does the film come off at all from wear/washing/rubbing, particularly if one puts it on the piece in the rear at the top of a bumper at the back of the trunk/hatch? If so, what does one do?

3. If one installs just a clear bra vs. entire hood coverage, is there a visible or unsightly line in middle of the hood?

I get up to New Hampshire on occasion. How long does an install take?!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Since your signature says, "Installer of 3M Ventureshield and Xpel Film" can you comment on the differences and why one would want one vs. the other?

There is a difference between the two. The Xpel is thicker and has an "orange peel" finish to it. My Dad has it installed on his Maserati. Xpel comes with its own protectant "wax" that you use on it to keep the finish matching the paint. If you aren't looking for it you are never going to see it.

2. Does the film come off at all from wear/washing/rubbing, particularly if one puts it on the piece in the rear at the top of a bumper at the back of the trunk/hatch? If so, what does one do?

I had some start to lift after 3 yrs but that is because i didn't fully wrap the edges and dirt got behind it.

3. If one installs just a clear bra vs. entire hood coverage, is there a visible or unsightly line in middle of the hood?

a lot depends on the color. my b6 was dark blue and there was a slight line on my hood since i didn't get the full coverage, i also had the bumper and fenders and you never knew they were there. but on a fully wrapped hood you should never see it.

If you want shoot me a PM with your email and i can get you pics of my Dads car with the Xpel on it.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by efett

There is a difference between the two. The Xpel is thicker and has an "orange peel" finish to it. My Dad has it installed on his Maserati. Xpel comes with its own protectant "wax" that you use on it to keep the finish matching the paint. If you aren't looking for it you are never going to see it.
I've seen the X-pel Ultimate and I didn't see any orange peel. Nor does it require a special wax - you wax it with the same wax you would use on the rest of the car (nothing with an abrasive compound though) - the Ultimate includes a clear coat layer. It also has self healing properties so should not get as dinged up like other films over time. I've scheduled a full front custom fitted, wrapped edges X-pel Ultimate treatment on my new 2013 A6 when it comes in (no pre-cut kit).

Quick Reply: 2012 A4 S-Line Clear Bra Install