A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2014 A4 or wait for 2015

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 A4 or wait for 2015

I have already placed an order for a 2014 A4 which is slated to start production the week of March 10th and ED in mid April. I keep wondering if I should wait for the 2015 model (B9) which I would assume would take some cues from the new A3 in the technology department and would probably be built on the new MLB platform for some nice weight savings. I really like the interior of the new A3 and I would think the A4 interior is due for a refresh. I am probably going to have this car for at least 7 or 8 years and I don't want to look back and regret not waiting for the 2015 refresh. Then again there is the old rule to never buy a car in its first model year which I ignored when I bought my 2002 Acura RSX Type S that I still have and still love to drive. I would also be heart broken if they did away with the manual option. I am probably over thinking it. Someone talk some sense into me. Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Personally, I am waiting to see what B9 will looks like before making my next car purchase. Otherwise A3 is looking very nice - it may very well be my next car.

Comparing upcoming A3 to the current A4, A3 has about the same interior dimensions, slightly smaller trunk, less weight (better performance and gas mileage), Haldex instead of Torsen differential (limited slip functionality is simulated - may or may not have any difference in real world). It is also cheaper than the current A4. I would most definitely not pick the current A4 over upcoming A3.

Regarding first year models - I have the first year model B8 and not regret buying one. There were some issues, all of which were fixed under warranty. None of the problems ever left me parked on the shoulder. Later model years had issues as well. If you want the most refined model, you have to get 2014 MY - but then you will have to drive "old" model for the next 7 years.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default I'd wait for the 2015

I know I would have regrets buying a 2014 model when the new model will be out a year later. While I like the way Audi refreshed the B8, the interior, as you pointed out, is getting old.

As far as the old rule to never buy the first model year, I disagree. I purchased a B5, B6 and B8 in the first model year, and with the exception of the B5, they have been relatively trouble-free. And any problems I had with the B5 were fixed under warranty.

The best thing about buying in the first model year, as far as Audis go, is that Audi loads the new cars with features, some of which they delete as standard equipment in subsequent model years. For instance, my B5 came with heated front and rear seats standard. My other cars also had features that later were taken away.

Btw, Car & Driver posted some pictures of what the 2015 A4 is supposed to look like. According to them, the new A4 will look like a smaller A6. Not that that's bad, but I would like to see a completely new design this time around. But then again, C&D's version is just a guess.

Last edited by A4Driver; 02-06-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think were getting an all new A4 for 2015.

2015 will be the last year of this body style. They could close out the 15 models early and bring out the new 2016 sooner.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

These are the two articles that got me thinking.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...4-b9-spy-shots

and

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-detailed-news
Old 02-07-2014, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also thought about waiting for the S3 but they won't offer a manual at launch, only the dual clutch s tronic.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It will be a 2015 in Europe and 2016 in America.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MLWings19
I have already placed an order for a 2014 A4 which is slated to start production the week of March 10th and ED in mid April. I keep wondering if I should wait for the 2015 model (B9) which I would assume would take some cues from the new A3 in the technology department and would probably be built on the new MLB platform for some nice weight savings. I really like the interior of the new A3 and I would think the A4 interior is due for a refresh. I am probably going to have this car for at least 7 or 8 years and I don't want to look back and regret not waiting for the 2015 refresh. Then again there is the old rule to never buy a car in its first model year which I ignored when I bought my 2002 Acura RSX Type S that I still have and still love to drive. I would also be heart broken if they did away with the manual option. I am probably over thinking it. Someone talk some sense into me. Thanks
MLWings,
If you are not it love with the B8 that you ordered, I would then wait for the B9! I'm waiting for a B8 that is expected to arrive by the end of March and I just decided for it because I really like it; it's the Avant manual (multitronic No thanks!) in Brilliant Red! I just added it a lot of optionals and the car looks great!
If you are not sure, better leave it...
Cheers
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MLWings19
I think any car enthusiast getting a B8 at this stage is going to regret it. With the current model on sale since 2008 and a new one in the near wing, there's not much question.
Having said that, there's still no shame in today's car. I believe it to be more elegant and exclusive than other current competitors.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV A4
I think any car enthusiast getting a B8 at this stage is going to regret it...
On the other hand, I don't like every aspect of the "face lift" (B8.5) better than the B8. Therefore, I don't automatically assume that I will like every aspect of the B9 better.

Quick Reply: 2014 A4 or wait for 2015