A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2014 A4Q w/MMI 3G+: AT&T 3G and Audi Connect ? Yes !

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 2014 A4Q w/MMI 3G+: AT&T 3G and Audi Connect ? Yes !

We recently bought a 2014 A4 P+ with MMI 3G+ from a used car dealer near Rochester, NY. Our older 2009 A4 P+ only had a Symphony head unit, so I wasn't familiar yet with the problem of mobile data connectivity in the MMI.

When we test drove the car, I made a point of trying out the nav system, and in particular, the Google Earth view, without understanding fully where the Google Earth image data came from at the time. It all "just worked", which was encouraging (but not necessarily needed, as I prefer the standard raster map view while driving).

After we brought the car home, I looked more closely at the problem of provisioning 3G mobile data to the MMI. In particular, whether it was possible to use the AT&T network rather than the original T-Mobile network to which the SIM that came with the car was provisioned.

A little bit of Googling turned up various posts suggesting that 2014 A4s can use both T-Mobile and AT&T 3G data networks. A call to Audi Connect was not so encouraging: they were adamant that MY2014 A4s could only use the T-Mobile network, and that if we wanted to continue the service, we would need to get their SIM and plan.
Whatever.

Based on findings from yet more Googling, I ordered a 99c LTE SIM from Freedompop last week and immediately down-graded the service to the base 200MB free plan.

The pre-activated Freedompop SIM came in the mail today, and went straight into our A4.

After setting the APN to "fp.com.attz" in the MMI Telephone > Data connection > Connection settings screen, the 3G indicator appeared, and the AT&T network connection confirmed in the Telephone > Data connection > Online status overview screen. Progress !

The next problem was what to do about Audi Connect since we're not using their SIM for 3G mobile data ? Another quick Google search turned up an AW thread that suggested the solution wasn't to found at the myaudiconnect.com site, but rather at the my.audi.com site. After a little bit of poking around my.audi.com, the site offered me an Audi Connect PIN for my myAudi account. Back at the car, I managed to find the
right path under Navigation > Destinations to get an Audi Connect PIN prompt, and after a few moments of 3G data handshaking, the PIN was accepted.

We can now get our saved destinations from my.audi.com and use the integrated Audi Connect information services from the MMI. Not bad for 99c and a little bit of Googling.

Thanks to the AW & AZ forums for making this information available to the rest of us.