A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

328 vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 3 of 325i/328i Sport Pkg (2006-2010 models). Bored. I loved my 2009 B8 A4/2.0Tq & S4 now.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A4 (B8) platform is not shared with the passat or jetta, but it is shared with the Q5 and the A5. Tell that German to L2Audi
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

my area too .. Sunday 830am. can see 7 bimmers stop at intersection. more than toyota.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is very expensive to develop a new platform or a new engine. In order to be profitable Volkswagen shares platforms, engines and parts among its brands (like all the big corporations: GM, Toyota, etc. - you've heard probably lately that Lexus shares a lot with Toyota models, a shocking truth amongst some buyers).

The Audi A4 shares the same B Series platform with VW Passat, Seat Exeo and Skoda Superb (it is not what an Audi enthusiast wants to hear but it's the truth).

You can see here other common platforms shared by VW;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...roup_platforms

What people don't know is that a lot more accessories and platforms are shared even between different companies: BMW used to use GM automatic (crappy) transmissions in the 2000, Subaru uses previous generations Nissan (crappy) transmission, etc.

I test drove a used Porsche Boxter the other day and the guy told me to be careful when I start the motor because the contact breaks easily because is a VW one. No comment. R&D is expensive these days.

In the industry this phenomenon is called "brand dilution". A few examples: GM "diluted" SAAB and other brands, Ford "diluted" everithing they touched (Mazda, Jaguar, etc.) FIAT diluted Alfa Romeo Lancia, etc., etc.

P.S. I love cars and I have an admiration for Audi but if there is a problem about my favorite car manufacturer (whatever it is) I prefer to know it and speak it loudly (BMW recalled 150k cars for a crappy fuel pump that everybody complained about).

I think we have to be critical towards car manufacturers and not buy everything they sell us (including re-badged or re-branded products).

Enjoy your ride.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smurfs
And the A4 interior isn't cheap? The gray plastic on the dash is the definition of cheap.
I agree that there are things about the A4s interior that are cheap (that's definitely one) but I think the materials in the A4 are at least well chosen. I can only speak for myself having a black interior but it appears to be made of materials that I will be able to maintain and keep looking new. If you've got painted plastic in places that are exposed to wear (like where you insert the key fob, the center console, etc.)then it's goning to get scratched off eventually.
I'm sure this is highly variable and dependant on the interior color, the owner, the model year etc. but that's one thing that stood out to me about the BMW. The driving characteristics of the BMW, on the other hand, are breathtaking. I like the steering stiffness and feedback a lot more than the Audi and to me it just feels like it just needs to go forward. The Audi doesn't feel like that but it does feel a lot more responsive due to the increased torque. The quattro is also pretty amazing for accelerating through turns or in rain. The 2.0T just doesn't have the overall smoothness of the inline six.
In the end I bought the Audi because I liked it better overall, especially the exterior styling. I also really wanted an AWD car because I have to drive up mountains and they get pretty dicey in the snow. But certainly you can't go wrong either way, it boils down to what's important to you.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It was shared in the past up until the B7. The B8 however does not share its platform with any other vehicle except the A4, Q5, A5 and A8. It even states so on the link you posted.

MLB/MLP (PL48)[2] mid-size cars and larger Audi A4 (B8), Audi A5, Audi Q5, Audi A8 (D4)

Originally Posted by JJohnes
It is very expensive to develop a new platform or a new engine. In order to be profitable Volkswagen shares platforms, engines and parts among its brands (like all the big corporations: GM, Toyota, etc. - you've heard probably lately that Lexus shares a lot with Toyota models, a shocking truth amongst some buyers).

The Audi A4 shares the same B Series platform with VW Passat, Seat Exeo and Skoda Superb (it is not what an Audi enthusiast wants to hear but it's the truth).

What people don't know is that a lot more accessories and platforms are shared even between different companies: BMW used to use GM automatic (crappy) transmissions in the 2000, Subaru uses previous generations Nissan (crappy) transmission, etc.

I test drove a used Porsche Boxter the other day and the guy told me to be careful when I start the motor because the contact breaks easily because is a VW one. No comment. R&D is expensive these days.

In the industry this phenomenon is called "brand dilution". A few examples: GM "diluted" SAAB and other brands, Ford "diluted" everithing they touched (Mazda, Jaguar, etc.) FIAT diluted Alfa Romeo Lancia, etc., etc.

P.S. I love cars and I have an admiration for Audi but if there is a problem about my favorite car manufacturer (whatever it is) I prefer to know it and speak it loudly (BMW recalled 150k cars for a crappy fuel pump that everybody complained about).

I think we have to be critical towards car manufacturers and not buy everything they sell us (including re-badged or re-branded products).

Enjoy your ride.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello,

I don't want to be mean but if you ask a German about the A4/A6 he'll say "buy a Jetta/Passat and save your money, it's just the appearance that's changed.

JJohnes

I guess it depends on which German you may ask!

http://germancarscene.com/2010/10/10...ge-in-germany/

My mother came over from Germany when she was ten and we went back for her 60th birthday back in 2008.My father couldn't believe how many Audi's he saw over the course of those 16 days. Maybe it was the areas we visited. An amazing amount of A4 avants and a3's. Hardly any sedans

My grandfather who came over to the states in the late 50's was always fond of Audi's and never compared them to VW's. He always would say "mercedes and audi are first class".......I guess its just a different German opinion
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

This is all half-truth. Audi used to build Passat, A4 and A6 on the same platform in the past. The current generation is not shared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswa...oup_B_platform

GM used to supply transmissions to BMW over a decade ago. Those were 5 speed transmissions not offered on any of US models to the best of my knowledge. GM supplies transmissions to a wide variety of applications from school buses to Bentleys. Doesn't mean that any of these products are "crappy".
For example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L80-E_transmission
Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I

Enjoy your ride.

Too bad BMW didn't start speaking it loudly until abc ran large stories about the problem on the national news........Don't for a second think they pushed the recall forward because their customers were unhappy or felt unsafe.....watch what the gentleman says at the 2:10 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0PRFHEhwo
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not really sure one can compare BMW and Audi objectively... I tend to find people are either audi people or bmw people. If you ask me, I see them as 2 sides of the same coin... both are excellent cars but as this thread shows its subjective when having to choose one.

Quick Reply: 328 vs A4