A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

328 vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, I'm not a big fan at all of the Initial Quality Study -- what goes wrong in the first 90 days is interesting to know, but to me it doesn't predict how the vehicle is going to be a year down the road.

And unfortunately, JD Power's long-term study is not available for MY beyond 2005.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 547 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by JJohnes
For those who lease it wouldn't probably make much of a difference in the reliability between A4 and 3Series, but if buying and intending to keep the car after warranty, I woudn't touch the A4 based on actual reliability ratings and the past reliability history:

For 2010 is too soon to speak about reliability ratings.

For past years (before 2007) A4 had a reliability rating much worse than the 3 series (See consumer reports ratings).

Regards,
CR rates the 4-cylinder A4 as having either average or above average reliability from 2006 on and predicts the 2011 to be average. The 328 is also average or above average during the same period, and has above average predicted reliability for 2011. The 335, like all cars with the turbo-charged I6, has reliability that is far below average.

I know you love BMW, but please refrain from spreading misinformation.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JD15
CR rates the 4-cylinder A4 as having either average or above average reliability from 2006 on and predicts the 2011 to be average. The 328 is also average or above average during the same period, and has above average predicted reliability for 2011. The 335, like all cars with the turbo-charged I6, has reliability that is far below average.

I know you love BMW, but please refrain from spreading misinformation.
I think we have a troll problem (and his name is JJohnes).
Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Open-minded people never inflate over other's opinion.

@JD15 - That's a serious statement you make considering USNews and JD Power reliability ratings as misinformation.

@Audi S5 TC: You seem like a wise guy and well aware of Audi reliability problems and ratings (you express it well in your posts).

Regarding myself, in order to make my statements credible and as objective as possible I only made affirmations based on Internet links as credible as possible.

I love cara, beautiful cars and good cars. I love German cars and I think BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche are among the industry leaders in design and innovations. It is true that one of my two cars is a BMW, but it is not less true that I have an admiration for Audi cars. One day I may be driving one (one of my future family cars could well be an Audi A6 avant).

The only reason of my posts is to help people deciding between the two brands/models and to learn myself for future purchases from other's experiences.

Regards,
Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

@JD15 - That's a serious statement you make considering USNews and JD Power reliability ratings as misinformation.

@Audi S5 TC: You seem like a wise guy and well aware of Audi reliability problems and ratings (you express it well in your posts).

Regarding myself, in order to make my statements credible and as objective as possible I only made affirmations based on Internet links as credible as possible.

I love cara, beautiful cars and good cars. I love German cars and I think BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche are among the industry leaders in design and innovations. It is true that one of my two cars is a BMW, but it is not less true that I have an admiration for Audi cars. One day I may be driving one (one of my future family cars could well be an Audi A6 avant).

The only reason of my posts is to help people deciding between the two brands/models and to learn myself for future purchases from other's experiences.

Regards,
JD Power and Associates (or JD P&A for short) and especially Strategic Vision (or SV for short) are not even remotely credible unless they 100% Consumer Reports (or CR for short) and True Delta (or TD for short). CR and TD are only for intelligent people. JD P&A and especially SV rate Gaguar-err-Jaguar higher than Subaru in dependability, durability, quality, reliability, and satisfaction and service (which everybody knows is a load of trash the size of Texas). I rest my case on how useless JD P&A and especially SV (both of which are usually only for fools, especially SV) usually are.

You should also know the following regarding how badly Audi recently did in Consumer Reports (or CR for short in dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service, JJohnes:

The problems of the 2005 A6 AllRoad and 2009 to 2011 A6 3.0T sedan and avant dragged down the ratings of the 2005 to 2011 A6/S6. The 2005 to 2008 A6 3.2 avant, 2005 to 2011 A6 3.2 sedan and 2005 to 2011 A6 4.2 sedan are average or above average in the six areas mentioned above. All 2005 to 2011 A6s (including the S6 and dreaded A6 3.0T sedan and avant) have class leading or near class leading performance, safety and security.

The problems with the 2007 to 2009 A3 dragged down the ratings of the A3. The 2006 and 2010+ A3 are average or above average in the six areas mentioned above. All A3s (including the dreaded 2007 to 2009 models) have class leading or near class leading performance, safety and security.

The problems with the 2004 A8L 4.2, 2005 A8 4.2 and 2005 A8L 4.2 dragged gown the ratings of the 2004 to 2010 A8/A8L/S8. The 2006 to 2010 A8 4.2 and A8L 4.2 are average or above average in the six areas mentioned above. All 2004 to 2010 A8s (including the S8, A8L W12 and the dreaded 2004 A8L 4.2, 2005 A8 4.2 and 2005 A8L 4.2) have class leading or near class leading performance, safety and security.

The problems with the 2008 to 2010 TT dragged down the ratings of the TT. The 2007 and 2011 TT are average or above average in the six areas mentioned above. All 2007+ TTs (including the dreaded 2008 to 2010 models) have class leading or near class leading performance, safety and security.

The problems of all model year Q7 3.0Ts and 4.2s (and mediocre performance of all versions of all Q7s) dragged down the ratings of the Q7. The Q7 3.6 and 3.0TDI are average or better than average in the six areas mentioned above. All Q7s (including the dreaded Q7 3.0Ts and 4.2s from all model years) have class leading or near class leading safety and security.

All versions of the A4 (including the S4 and RS 4) from 2005.5+, all versions of the Q5 and all versions of the A5 (including the S5) are average or better than average in the six areas mentioned above. Also, all versions of the A4 (including the S4 and RS 4) from 2005.5+, all versions of the Q5 and all versions of the A5 (including the S5) have class leading or near class leading safety and security. As a result, all versions of these Audi models from 2005.5+ are recommended by CR-and solidly so. Fortunately, CR is spot on with their ratings and solid recommendation of these Audi models and models years with all information they and their customers provided, making it 100% official.

And, FWIW, when I said all six areas mentioned above, those six areas mentioned above would be non other than dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service.

My advice to you, JJohnes is only rely on JD P&A and SV when they 100% match CR and TD. Otherwise, always 100% ignore JD P&A and especially SV. Either way, make sure that you always rely on CR and TD.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 547 Likes on 368 Posts

I didn't dispute what you posted regarding JD Power and USNews (how do they collect their data anyway?). However, what you posted regarding CR reliability ratings was patently false; I'm not sure whether you made a mistake, or whether you're deliberately manufacturing misinformation. Sticking to the facts, can you dispute anything in my previous post?

Generally, I don't see where there is strong evidence for making a decision between the 328 and A4 based on reliability. The two have similar ratings; neither is likely to be as low-maintenance as an Accord, but neither are considered terribly unreliable cars.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was sitting next to a young german man at a recent meeting. I asked him what was the talk on the street in Germany between BMW, Audi and Mercedes. He stated without a doubt the germans love the Audi's and they are the prefered make. I had not told him at that point I was an A4 fan. Very interesting I thought.
Just my $ .02 for what it worth.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P.S. I love cars and I have an admiration for Audi but if there is a problem about my favorite car manufacturer (whatever it is) I prefer to know it and speak it loudly (BMW recalled 150k cars for a crappy fuel pump that everybody complained about).
Is that what happened here at 4:45?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXddwNy8uRg
Old 11-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Is that what happened here at 4:45?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXddwNy8uRg
Yes, I've seen this video before and it seems that the symptoms are the same as some drivers reported. It took BMW a long time to address the issue ... That's just a shame for such beautiful machines...
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've just come across the following link (UK). Audi A4 does surprisingly well (Audi as a brand does very well too):
http://www.carsuk.net/top-10-most-reliable-cars/

Quick Reply: 328 vs A4