A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

4% off MSRP??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 4% off MSRP??

So I am getting from dealers that the most they can come off of a new Audi is 4%. Can anyone confirm this? So on a car (my car) that is MSRP'ed at $42,380 that is only $1700 off. I remember reading about guys getting them for invoice and below. Just looking for some help and direction here guys. I want to drop the hammer and order this thing but $1700 off MSRP seems ridiculous. I realize you cannot deal on a Audi like a Honda or American car, but come on.

I live in Wisconsin and I know prices can vary depending what part of the Country you live in. I am really looking forward to some replies. I want to order the car hopefully the end of this week.

Any advice/suggestions/comments are much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quattrolover
So I am getting from dealers that the most they can come off of a new Audi is 4%. Can anyone confirm this? So on a car (my car) that is MSRP'ed at $42,380 that is only $1700 off. I remember reading about guys getting them for invoice and below. Just looking for some help and direction here guys. I want to drop the hammer and order this thing but $1700 off MSRP seems ridiculous. I realize you cannot deal on a Audi like a Honda or American car, but come on.

I live in Wisconsin and I know prices can vary depending what part of the Country you live in. I am really looking forward to some replies. I want to order the car hopefully the end of this week.

Any advice/suggestions/comments are much appreciated.
in CA seems like you should be able to get at least $500 if not $1000 or $1500 under invoice.

I was able to get over $1000 under on mine in january which is about $3200 off msrp, and the build of my car was pretty difficult to find.

When I got mine I used the amex buying service to establish at least a baseline and there it was $500 under invoice.

http://amexnetwork.zag.com/new-car.html

For wisconsin zip codes it seems to be only $170 over invoice (so its not like its that horrible a deal) so it does vary by zipcode (your car will still cost less than the same car in CA due to tax at least!). I think you should still be able to beat that though depending on how many dealers there are nearby (I know nothing about wsiconsin , but it would seem like there would be less), but at the worst you cant do worse than it. I contacted something like 8 dealers in southern and northern california to get my car with its particular options at the price i ended up with.

I priced out a tiptronic, prestige sport on that site with a wisconsin zip code and its about $2500 off msrp (170 over invoice)

Last edited by hans007; 03-13-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hans007
in CA seems like you should be able to get at least $500 if not $1000 or $1500 under invoice.

I was able to get over $1000 under on mine in january which is about $3200 off msrp, and the build of my car was pretty difficult to find.

When I got mine I used the amex buying service to establish at least a baseline and there it was $500 under invoice.

http://amexnetwork.zag.com/new-car.html

For wisconsin zip codes it seems to be only $170 over invoice (so its not like its that horrible a deal) so it does vary by zipcode (your car will still cost less than the same car in CA due to tax at least!). I think you should still be able to beat that though depending on how many dealers there are nearby (I know nothing about wsiconsin , but it would seem like there would be less), but at the worst you cant do worse than it. I contacted something like 8 dealers in southern and northern california to get my car with its particular options at the price i ended up with.

I priced out a tiptronic, prestige sport on that site with a wisconsin zip code and its about $2500 off msrp (170 over invoice)

Thank you so much for your help bud! I have been researching this car for about 6 months now and the time has finally come to order it up. So I am a little antsy to say the least. Once I order then I have another 12 weeks...... Will I make it??? LOL

Seriously though thank you for your help!

Have a good weekend!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

We're pretty much screwed up here in the northwoods. My location in WI really hindered any bargaining ability, being there's only one descent dealership within a 3 hr drive of here. Also, the total lack of inventory in our region doesn't help matters. Gives us very little to bargain for if you can even find something close in inventory, and less effort required to move cars on their end as well. So, I ended up ordering as well, with about the same discount you're being offered. You just can't get that good of a deal on an Audi up this way. Not much of a market for them around here. If you want the car, you have to want it pretty bad.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B8aruba
We're pretty much screwed up here in the northwoods. My location in WI really hindered any bargaining ability, being there's only one descent dealership within a 3 hr drive of here. Also, the total lack of inventory in our region doesn't help matters. Gives us very little to bargain for if you can even find something close in inventory, and less effort required to move cars on their end as well. So, I ended up ordering as well, with about the same discount you're being offered. You just can't get that good of a deal on an Audi up this way. Not much of a market for them around here. If you want the car, you have to want it pretty bad.
Through the AMEX program, I've seen several dealerships that are 200+ miles away from Chicago (where we have at least a dozen stealerships within a 30-40 mile radius?) who are willing to deliver the car to me. I'm sure the same would be offered to you?

Not that you'd want a car delivered, but you can use the delivery option as leverage in your negotiations...
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not the case up here. They want another estimated $1000, on top of the $825 delivery charge already assessed, to deliver a car from that far away. It's absolutely ridiculous. Almost made me buy another brand, but the car is that good. We really are at the mercy of the Audi dealership Gods up this way. You guys get the deals out there for sure...
Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could consider calling dealers in any area within a few days drive. Pick someplace you could make a day trip (or several days) out of driving your new car home. A couple tanks of gas and maybe a Hotel room...

You might lose the "perks" you home area dealer would give you during service visits, just have to weigh the pros ($ savings) vs the cons.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am in Eastern IA and just bought my third Audi. My previous two were purchased when I lived in Chicago and lots of healthy competition. IA not so much. My nearest dealers were an hour each in three directions. Madison, WI was one of those. As I recall they didn't have the vehicle I wanted, but were reasonably aggressive on price (although I do remember some people complaining about the dealership). I also looked at Milwaukee, WI and that guy highballed me, and then was begging me to buy from him after I went somewhere else. Not impressed.

Don't know where you are, but if you can make the drive to the Chicago area once you can do it all over the internet. Get them all to give you offers, negotiate further with the best 3. Pin it down and then make them send you a sale sheet that lists EVERY charge they will be applying to you.

That way they should stick to it. And you can make one trip and save a lot on your car.

I actually ended up buying from Lujacks in Davenport IA. They weren't the cheapest, but they were closest (geographically) and the price was good enough. Also I had been taking my previous car there and was happy.

I personally didn't like Carousel in Iowa City and would avoid them.

If you are in N WI you have a harder time...
Old 03-15-2010, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
If you are in N WI you have a harder time...
And... that's the case. Do appreciate the info though. Recently picked up a new Tahoe LTZ from the Hummer dealership in Schaumburg, via the exact process you just described. Excellent experience. Just didn't have the time to run down there for the Audi this time. Shipped out to work overseas. So, I'm bitchin, but did have the option to drive 3.5 hrs to pickup a good buy. It's not fun dealing up here, really made me want to puke a few times to be honest. Wasn't impressed at all with the experience (and lack of inventory overall), but have a deep-rooted love for these cars, and the car is what it's all about for me.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Most of the forum things I've seen say to shoot for 6%. If you do better, awesome, if you don't...someone has to pull the average down.

Just be happy with what you pay.

Quick Reply: 4% off MSRP??