A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 AMI iPod problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A4 AMI iPod problem

With my 2009 A4 (Prestige, 6 speed manual transmission, without nav) I fully enjoyed my B&O audio system connected to a 16 GB iPod nano (newest generation). The dealer gave me the blue marked cable and the iPod nano perfectly integrated with the AMI for the last 2 weeks. However, yesterday instead of my iPod delivering music I received the message:

Audi Music Interface:
The device is being initialized.
Please wait...

The AMI was stuck on the message. I removed the iPod; it had the Audi symbol on its screen but it was not illuminated. I did a hard boot to the iPod and reconnected the nano to the AMI. It worked for a day, but when I started the A4 the next morning I found the AMI initialization message again.

In my attempts to correct the issue, I have turned the car off and on, reset the system settings, reset the attached device. In another web form (AudiFourm) two members have also reported the same problem with multiple iPods and iPhones.

Will someone please give me advice on how to proceed? Thanks,
Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof
Will someone please give me advice on how to proceed? Thanks,
Yesterday I had to restart MMI twice while driving to work - sometimes it seems to lose iPod functionality. My system is different (I have Nav) and MMI has to be reset by holding 3 buttons. Restarting iPod and turning off ignition did not solve my problem - only MMI reboot.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this happen once (I have Nav) and I had to reset MMI but that was it. Otherwise the issue was caused by the iPod locking up usually due to the cold weather. Was it really cold outside? iPods do not like the cold at all.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't had one issue in my one month with the system (Avant, P+, Nav). I frequently switched between a 5g, 4g, and ipod touch with no problems. Here are some things you could try:

1. see if the connection cable is tight
2. blow on the ipod's dock connector to see if there is dust that may interfere with connection
3. restore your ipod from itunes (where it reformats your ipod, and restores your music). Just a thought but the error may be due to some kind of disk (or flash) error
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an 80gb ipod classic that has not had any issues linking when using blue cable for my non-nav ami. Sorry you have having issues, I believe the manual says which ipods are compatible, not sure but check that.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your suggestion. Perhaps low temperatures have something to do with the malfunction. I recall that both times the iPod nano was kept in the car and it got below 32F during the evening. I will take the iPod into the house when we have cold temperatures.

I just reconnected the iPod after loading additional music. It was immediately recognized and functioned well. I stopped the engine, got out of the car, locked the doors and then returned. The iPod functioned perfectly.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof
Thanks for your suggestion. Perhaps low temperatures have something to do with the malfunction. I recall that both times the iPod nano was kept in the car and it got below 32F during the evening. I will take the iPod into the house when we have cold temperatures.

I just reconnected the iPod after loading additional music. It was immediately recognized and functioned well. I stopped the engine, got out of the car, locked the doors and then returned. The iPod functioned perfectly.
Yes, I figured this was the problem when one night the temps went below 0 F and the next morning the iPod wouldn't even turn on! I hate to let it "thaw" and then it started up fine
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 AM

This is a cold weather problem. The ipod does not like the cold weather all that much.

Even temperatures in the low 40's will cause this problem.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is this more prone to the hard drive iPods over the solid state ones or is this more an issue right on the motherboard or with screen? Does keeping the iPod inside during the night reduce the problem or will it happen quick enough when brought into a cold car?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Keeping iPod warm

Originally Posted by Spacecadet_CC
Is this more prone to the hard drive iPods over the solid state ones or is this more an issue right on the motherboard or with screen? Does keeping the iPod inside during the night reduce the problem or will it happen quick enough when brought into a cold car?
For the past few days we have had cold temperatures in Illinois(<25F)with snow and freezing rain. Each evening I remove the iPod from the glove compartment and bring it into my home. When I drive the A4 I reconnect the iPod and it is instantly recognized and functions. At this time it looks like that this is a cold temperature problem. The iPod that I am using is a 16GB, solid state 4th generation iPod nano. I do not have a hard drive iPod so I cannot comment on that technology.

I wonder if anyone has had similar problems with the SD memory chips that can be used in the non-Nav AMI set up?

Quick Reply: A4 AMI iPod problem