A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 AMI iPod problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof
For the past few days we have had cold temperatures in Illinois(<25F)with snow and freezing rain. Each evening I remove the iPod from the glove compartment and bring it into my home. When I drive the A4 I reconnect the iPod and it is instantly recognized and functions. At this time it looks like that this is a cold temperature problem. The iPod that I am using is a 16GB, solid state 4th generation iPod nano. I do not have a hard drive iPod so I cannot comment on that technology.

I wonder if anyone has had similar problems with the SD memory chips that can be used in the non-Nav AMI set up?
You won't have problems with those. The issue isn't the actual media (Flash memory chips, etc.) but in most cases the CPU and other processors in the iPod that have a temperature threshold where things get wonky.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help. I just picked up a new A4 P+ yesterday. The very firt thing I wanted to do when I got home was hook up my 4th Generation iPod Nano via the AMI because for the last several years I have been unable to use my iPod thru my car.

I get the message that the cable or the device is not supported. In the Sound System owners manual it only lists iPod nano 1G, 2G and 3G as being compatible so I thought I might be out of luck.

But previous posts mention succesfully using (at least for a few weeks)
4G nanos, but with a blue adapter cable.

I have a black adapter cable. Is there another one I should have?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have Nav or just a P+ with AMI?

The newer cable (blue) is mainly for the 3G MMI that's in the Q5 and 2010 A4. As far as I'm aware, the regular black AMI cable should work with our 2009 A4 AMI with all iPods.

To date, I've used a black cable with my P+ w/Nav with iPod 5G video and an iPhone 3G with no issues at all.

I can't imagine a 4G Nano is somehow a problem but who knows. My recommendation is to go to the dealer and ask them for the other cable to see if that fixes the problem. They should be able to let you try it with the other cable without you having to buy it first.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 AM

I don't have Nav. Other than that it looks exactly like the A4 in your picture, black on beige.

Called dealer and he said that that sometimes the cables are bad. Since posting I also tried my old iPod that is now my son's, a 1st generation Nano, and that had the same problems.

So I'm hoping this is all just a bad cable issue. If you look at pg 16 of the "Sound System Audi symphony - Operating Instructions" booklet that came with the car you'll see that they only list 1G, 2G and 3G Nanos though.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Right that's because at the time of writing, the 4G Nano probably didn't exist. These manuals are written well well in advance of the car being released.

Also from Apple's standpoint, they need to maintain compatibility with their previous Nanos otherwise it would break all the car systems, speaker systems and other accessories people already have with the previous Nanos.

I think it's a bad cable issue, hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I dunno about the AMI, but I've used my 2nd gen iPod Nano (the tall one before the stubby one) and my iPhone in the cold of -15C and it never went wonky on me.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Resolution: Went to dealer today and the guy replaced the AMI cable they gave me with the one they use when the car has the Nav system. Both my 1st and 4th Gen Nanos now work.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Though I don't have an answer for you as I am not an expert I can give you a suggestion. You may visit http://www.supportonclick.com. The staffs over there helped me a lot while I was having a lot of trouble with my ipod nano few days back. I think the staffs are qualified enough in solving all kinds of complicated matters related to iPod and mp3. I hope they will be able to solve the matter as soon as you get in touch with them.