A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 Avant extremely poor gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Avant extremely poor gas mileage?

I have a 2011 A4 Avant Quattro that I picked up in early May, with 2300 miles thus far. Since I got it, I've never averaged more than 12-13 MPG, and my MMI oil reading is already at its minimum. I've been driving very conservatively because I thought the poor gas mileage was attributed to aggressive driving, but it hasn't made a difference.
Is this normal during the break-in period of the car?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is unusually low. Even driving in nothing but stop-and-go traffic should produce better mileage than that, at least in the upper teens.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should be better than 12-13. That sounds pretty horrible.

I get a mixed 19-22 and I'm not that happy with my mileage. Some of it may be due to summer tires and the 19 inch sport package.

Long range mileage is stellar and that's where you can get 30 mpg on the highway.

I can average 30 plus with the cruise set on 75.

But stop and go / short trips kinda suck the gas mileage. I'm not sure why there's such a dramatic fall off in everyday real world driving.

Maybe it's all the torque and set-up of the 8 speed that is not very favorable to mileage.

I've commented that my 350 hp 4.2 V8 and my avant are neck in everyday driving, and that does surprise me a bit.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i average 25-27 MPG in town 30-32MPG on the highway 70MPH cruse and that is about 28 average.

i live in western pennsylvania which is pretty hilly so that is definitely not a good sign
Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

12-13mpg? That's only slightly better than what I get at the track. You mentioned "aggressive driving" and you are still in break-in period.... Not the best way to get rings to seat unfortunately. If you are just leasing, you may not care I guess... If you bought it, you might want to be a bit more gentle with her while you are still "dating"... marriage comes later.... after courtship.

By the first service, you should be on a stable enough footing with eachother that she won't mind a bit of flogging as long as you keep her well maintained and lubed... (sick bastards, I'm talking about the car...sheesh)

On the drive down the 5 from the Bay Area to L.A., our Avant averaged 34-36 mpg and we were rarely below 75-80 mph. The fact that I was driving an Expedition and my wife was drafting pretty close behind in the Avant probably helped. On any longer uninterrupted trips, you should be getting better mileage than an A4 sedan due to their better aerodynamics.

I'd check another tank of gas. Go by the mileage you get per tank, not what the dash shows you.... Then let us know please. If you are still getting the same mileage, you need to stop driving flatout at Daytona. Or you have something that NEEDS to be fixed pronto... Did a rat crawl in the exhaust and die? A plastic bag get into the intake pre-filter screen?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hughsclues
I have a 2011 A4 Avant Quattro that I picked up in early May, with 2300 miles thus far. Since I got it, I've never averaged more than 12-13 MPG, and my MMI oil reading is already at its minimum. I've been driving very conservatively because I thought the poor gas mileage was attributed to aggressive driving, but it hasn't made a difference.
Is this normal during the break-in period of the car?
No, this is not normal. I have the same car and average 28-30MPG on my commute (country side backroads, pacing around 45mph-60pmh with few or no stops) On highway long drives at high pace, 60mph to 80mph i see well over 30mpg. Around city, it drops plenty, but remains at about 21-23mpg. As for oil, my car consumed a little less than a quart the first 5k miles (about 2/3 quart). As for driving style, i drive spirited and with urgency but refrain from full throttle acceleration or hitting the readlines during break in (just made sure to alternate my rpms to avoid constant rpms for too long)

What you are saying sounds like there is something wrong.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Carl E
No, this is not normal.

What you are saying sounds like there is something wrong.
+1

Except that we don't know that the oil has actually dropped that low unless he checked it before and it was full. I mention that because I just got the Avant back from a new (to me) dealer where I had taken it in for a safety inspection due to a noise. I didn't check the oil level until the next morning... It was 3/4 liter low. I guess I can think of one thing they get an epic FAIL on, as far as that inspection. Already found a new dealer in the area. I blame myself partly for NOT checking the level in the driveway at the dealership like I usually do.

As to the mileage.... lowest I have ever seen at the track was about 9 mpg...but that on the street that would not be agressive driving... it would be reckless, jail-able...

Last edited by QUA77R0; 07-11-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the input... Taking it in for service Wednesday morning.

Like I said, I haven't been driving aggressively at all. I've been calculating the mileage on each tank based on miles divided by gallons, as the Premium trim does not come with a trip computer (which, really?).