A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 Avant v Outback for taller kids

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Avant v Outback for taller kids

I've been in a minivan purgatory for the last several years. Now my wife and I agree it is time to move on. We still want good gas mileage, and we've looked at several cars.

Right now the top two are the A4 Avant, and the new Outback. The only reasons that the Outback is even in the running are the larger back seat, the larger trunk, and the fact it is built in Indiana. For driving fun, the Audi of course cleans up. We're convinced the BMW Series 3 Sports Wagon has a back seat that is probably too cramped.

The difference in price between the Outback and the Audi is not a big factor, but the difference in size may be. My questions is, do any of you have an A4 with a family including taller kids? My 14 year-old is almost 6 feet, and may be getting taller. Our 11 year-old will soon be growing.

Does the A4 Avant have sufficient back seat and rear cargo space that I wouldn't regret this choice over the Outback? Would the Avant be acceleration that would be too enticing for my new driver in the next year and a half?

I'd also be interested in a Diesel, but from what I can read, there aren't any convincing tea-leaves about whether Audi is going to expand their TDI beyond the A3 and Q7 in the near future.

Thanks to those who choose to answer.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The A4 Avant is a sexy vehicle. However the interior space is not quite what you would expect out of a station wagon.

I am 6"2, and there is no way I would be able to comfortably sit in the back seats for an extended period of time. Especially if another one of me was sitting in the seat in front of me with it moved back and or reclined. Getting in an out of the car is also a bit of a contorsionist act.

The long and low sporty lines of the avant are like I said very sexy, but not exactly the best for utility purposes like a taller more boxy frame might provide.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

The pre-2010 outback wasn't great at all in terms of leg room... and way worse than the A4 for the front passengers comfort. Your teenagers are getting old, soon they won't want to go anywhere with mom and dad so buy what you want to drive
Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for answering.

I probably am asking too much to go from the extreme practicality and extreme boredom of a minivan to an A6. But I guess I might settle for the Subaru Outback, and start to plan and scheme for a possible Audi replacement in a couple of years.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wretnuh
Thanks so much for answering.

I probably am asking too much to go from the extreme practicality and extreme boredom of a minivan to an A6. But I guess I might settle for the Subaru Outback, and start to plan and scheme for a possible Audi replacement in a couple of years.
make sure to test drive both before buying..