A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 European Delivery

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I need some help.

After several months of researching a car, I've come to a decision about purchasing a new A4 or a new BMW 328i coupe. I prefer the A4 over the BMW and have a couple of questions. My father recently purchased a new BMW through European Delivery so I have a list of all the discounted prices of the 328i and options. Does anyone know where I can find a list of prices for Audi's European Delivery Program? I know that on the Audi website it says that the discount is 5% but I've read that it can be negotiated to 6-7%. My ideal car is an A4 Premium Plus Automatic with Titanium Package, Navigation, and Bang & Olufsen Sound. The MSRP on that specific trim would be 44,175.00$ Does anyone think that through EURO DELIVERY that I can get that trim under 40K? I can't afford to spend more than 40K. Also, If you have gone through European Delivery with Audi how has the overall experience been? Any suggestions as to what to do or any information (such as prices and such) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advanced for any help
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are willing to wait for the unit to be built, everyone should go for ED. You can find a dealer someplace that will sell you the car at invoice, even a little below. He wants to move A4's so he can get allocations for more profitable cars.

The collection of your car at the factory is very nice. They pay for a night in a hotel and a taxi ride to the delivery center. It is very pleasant, they treat you well and deliver the car mach schnell.

They give a couple of weeks free insurance, and tell you the 29 odd places to drop the car off when done.

Take it out for a nice long ride on the Autobahn. Stop at an Imbiss for coffee. (A German always makes time to stop, cup holders are never used by drivers.) Enjoy small hotels away from the crowds. The ones you cannot experience without a car. I like the Scandic Crown hotels. Then drop your car with EH Harms, and in a few weeks it will be at the dealer ready for pick up.

It is a great way to get a car.

Last edited by Moviela; 05-25-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

More Profitable cars? Isn't the A4 the highest selling Audi? I was thinking of talking to my dealer about the prices and discounts, but since I know there aren't too many A4's with the Titanium Package on it, I don't know if he will agree. There isn't a Titanium Package A4 at my local dealer and I checked online at cars.com and couldn't find one within a 100 mile radius. Thanks for the Information, I'll look into the hotel and where to drop my car if I do end up doing EU. I still am looking for prices, though... I need to know to compare it with the Bimmer's.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was in your shoes a few months ago when I was shopping around for a new car. It was down to the BMW 328i and the A4.

I first did research on the bimmer, and found that their ED program is one of the best of any manufacturer, if not the best. There was tons of information available on ED, and honestly, it got me excited to buy a BMW.

I then started looking at the A4, and found that there was very little information on the Audi ED program compared to BMW. There was no "ED invoice" pricing sheet available. The 5% off MSRP on the Audi website was not very enticing, and I was confident that I could get a better price by just buying the A4 for regular delivery. I even went as far as to ask a dealer about the Audi ED program and pricing, and he was unknowledgeable on the program. Pretty disappointing, honestly.

I checked out both the 3 series and the a4, and I liked the A4 much better. Two of the biggest factors for me going with the A4 was the interior design, and the lack of a conventional tire option on the bimmer.

The configuration that I wanted was not available anywhere, (P+, Ti package, B&O, Phantom black, 6MT) so I knew that I would have do a factory order.
I negotiated a price for the configuration that I wanted, placed the order or 3/31/11 and it arrived at the dealership on 5/19 (exactly 7 weeks later). From what I've read on the forums, my experience was unusually quick. I was expecting a wait of at least 10 - 12 weeks.

I decided not to attempt a ED purchase with Audi because I thought it would be too complicated on negotiating a price. Even though my car was not sitting on the lot, I was able to negotiate a good price on a factory order.

If you use the right tactics and have enough patience, you can definitely negotiate under $40k for the price. But don't forget that you'll have to start paying for the car at the time of production, and there will be a few weeks that you won't have the car until it arrives in the US. Also, you have to put down a Value Added Tax (VAT) amount that is pretty significant. You get the entire amount back, but it is a lot of money to put down at once. I remember that this was another reason why I didn't do the ED program.

That's my 2 cents on the Audi ED program. If it were as comprehensive and easy as the BMW ED program, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have gone with ED. Maybe for my next car, I'll attempt to do so.
Good luck with whatever you go with!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

European delivery its about the experience , im sure everything can be negociated.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2802412

search the forum a few have done it.

and check out audi tv ( tv.audi.com ) , theres a video there and on their pod cast about european delivery.

Last edited by iflywoe; 05-27-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

I was going to do ED delivery on my 2011 A4 Avant but decided not to because the pricing was not enough to justify a quick trip to Germany.

I have already been to the plant, taken the tours, and driven on the autobahnen. It is all very impressive. Audi does a lot of deliveries to European customers there and I probably would have done it if I had not been there before.

BMW does have a more impressive program, but the economy had cheapened that too.

Do it once if you like Audis!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is there a discount for buying a car through ED?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I really wanted to do European Delivery after visiting the factories in my TT. However for a UK buyer it's actually more expensive to collect from the factory!!

The argument is that when they ship the cars over they do it in such bulk that the cost per car is very small. To lay on the European Delivery which includes the museum, a handover, etc etc actually costs them more.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've decided that I want to get the A4 Premium Plus 6 Speed Manual Transmission w/the Titanium Sport Package and Bang&Olufsen Audio. TOTAL MSRP: 40,350$. I'm still debating if I should get it in white or black. I love the black but I live in Southern CA so black exterior + black interior is going to miserable at times. So how's the AC in the Audi?? haha. That specific trim is very rare (especially in CA) so I would have to do ED regardless. Luckily my dealer's friend recently purchased (through ED) an A4 w/that EXACT trim so he can help. I'm hoping to get a good deal on it. I have family near Germany so I would plan to go to Germany, pick up the car, and the visit Family. Unfortunately nothing is set in stone because I still need my father to talk over the numbers with the manager (since he will be paying for it for the first year or two). My father said that with BMW you don't pay the VAT (Value added Tax) but my understanding is that the VAT is actually some EU law. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, does anyone know if Audi pays for your hotel and taxi? Another question, does anyone of a Manual A4 and if so, how is the car holding up? I truly prefer the feel/power of a manual over the tiptronic but if maintenance is an issue then I would go for the tiptronic. I know that having an AUTOMATIC is wayyy more convenient in CA but luckily I drive opposite of traffic (south in the morning, north at night) so I have no big problems with traffic. Also, I drove a Manual 350z for about a year and had no complaints. Also, this might sound weird but since I play ice hockey, I feel like constantly changing gears while stuck in traffic will AT LEAST keep my legs awake. haha, thank you all for your help so far!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also another question:

Having bigger tires means you get less MPG am I correct? So if anyone who has an A4 with Titanium Package can tell me what their AVG MPG is I would appreciate it. Or just correct me if my knowledge is wrong and enlighten me, please. Sorry if I am asking such elementary questions but it's research you know?

Quick Reply: A4 European Delivery