A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 S-Line Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 S-Line Ride Quality

Love the looks of the A4 S-LIne. The19" wheels and sport suspension worry me a little for an urban environment. I drove an A4 with sport pkg which has 18" wheels. I thought it rode pretty well and was fun to drive.

Anyone have an S-Line and care to comment? I test drove an A5 with sport pkg and it was much stiffer than the A4 with sport pkg.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I originally had the 18" with sport package (which has the same lowered stance as the s-line, at least in NA) and then changed out to 19's with the same size tire as the OEM s-line tire. I can say that the difference is most noticeable over bumps, but other than that its pretty much the same.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

2010 S-line Avant here. Although bumps are noticeable, the ride is well controlled. Never jarring in my experience.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpinwdc
Love the looks of the A4 S-LIne. The19" wheels and sport suspension worry me a little for an urban environment. I drove an A4 with sport pkg which has 18" wheels. I thought it rode pretty well and was fun to drive.

Anyone have an S-Line and care to comment? I test drove an A5 with sport pkg and it was much stiffer than the A4 with sport pkg.

Thanks.
I have an S-Line Sedan. If you have the chance to grab an S-Line, you should. I still haven't seen another in this area - I like the 'exclusivity' of it.

It took me a little while to get used to the way the suspension acted, since it's my first lowered car. I think the suspension handles pretty good for a lowered OEM solution. I really wish it was 30mm lower from stock like in Europa though.

Eventually I'll get some KW V2's and a new rear Sway bar to really dial it in.

Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 11-13-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
I really wish it was 30mm lower from stock like in Europa though.
In Europe, standard is 20mm drop of the S-lines (which include your Sports pack). The comes with "Sports Suspension". If you want 30mm drop then it's a free option for the "S-line Suspension".

I had a 2009 Avant on Sports Suspension and whilst it's very liveable I found it a bit crashy sometimes and other times I found too much body roll.

I opted for the dymanic suspension on my 2010 Avant and don't regret is at all : Softer when required and harder when required.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an S-Line Sedan. If you have the chance to grab an S-Line, you should. I still haven't seen another in this area - I like the 'exclusivity' of it.

It took me a little while to get used to the way the suspension acted, since it's my first lowered car. I think the suspension handles pretty good for a lowered OEM solution. I really wish it was 30mm lower from stock like in Europa though.

Eventually I'll get some KW V2's and a new rear Sway bar to really dial it in.
Sounds you like even more aggressive set-ups. My question had to do more with ride quality , i.e. is it jarring and rough?. Some people are ok with that but I live in DC, and while the streets are getting better, it is still urban with lots of manhole covers, road repairs, and potholes after the winter.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpinwdc
Sounds you like even more aggressive set-ups. My question had to do more with ride quality , i.e. is it jarring and rough?. Some people are ok with that but I live in DC, and while the streets are getting better, it is still urban with lots of manhole covers, road repairs, and potholes after the winter.
Not jarring and far from rough. I live in the Metro DC area too (NoVa) and consider the car very capable in managing the roads here.

Are you in DC proper or in the burbs with an occasional trip into the city?

Edit: NM, I see you're in NW in your User Name...

Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 11-14-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine feels fine. I find myself avoiding abrupt edges (such as the square lip on manhole covers) more because I want to protect the rims since the tires are so low profile than because of any harsh ride.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not jarring and far from rough. I live in the Metro DC area too (NoVa) and consider the car very capable in managing the roads here.

Are you in DC proper or in the burbs with an occasional trip into the city?

Edit: NM, I see you're in NW in your User Name...
Yes, NW DC. Can be some rough streets. Interesting thing is the worst part can be the manhole covers which are lower than the pavement. In my current car, a MB SLK280, those are pretty jarring.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have ordinary sport suspention its about 2.6 not like s-line 2.0,has driven 19" wheels,its depends where u driving.in Norway roads are not so bad,but in Poland when i am on trip to,for me could be to hard and dangeroes cose there are big wholes and bad asfalt many places.its nice to have LOW car but i cant even if i want it could be stupid for me to do that ,air lifting could be nice like a6 can have

Quick Reply: A4 S-Line Ride Quality